Your Pedal Choice for Commuting is...

• Clipless

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Flats + Toeclips

• Flats only

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Ranger said:
I think this has been said, bit I want to check before taking the plunge. If I have a set of the M324 type pedal can I still use the flat side in a pair of cleated shoes for the bits with loads of traffic lights?

Before I moved I used to use the clipless side the most, but now I have to negotiate 20 sets of traffic lights, plus the odd roundabout, in the space of two miles, so I tend to use the flat side most for that bit...

dondare

Über Member
I use clipless but I wish that there was a way of fitting pedal reflectors to them, so that cyclists can be legal after dark.
(Actually I am legal, but only because of a stupid exemption for old bikes.)

Tynan

Veteran
yes, I see no reason at all why they can't have reflectors except the manufacturers think, probably correctly, that uber cool cyclists (the ones that pooh pooh helmets and hi viz) won't want them

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Tynan said:
yes, I see no reason at all why they can't have reflectors except the manufacturers think, probably correctly, that uber cool cyclists (the ones that pooh pooh helmets and hi viz) won't want them

Most of the pedals have them available. Just tend to be really crap designs that fall off.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Most SPD shoes have reflective bits on the back of them which has just as much effect as pedal reflectors, but then again when I am commuting I carry a pannier so the pedal reflectors can't be seen anyway...

I used to run clip-in pedals 100% but Ive got to the stage where the benefits of riding in civvies outweigh the advantages of cleats. Ive gone all utility. Ive even got a basket on the front.

And clip-in pedals would look faintly ridiculous on an lectric bike.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
mickle said:
I used to run clip-in pedals 100% but Ive got to the stage where the benefits of riding in civvies outweigh the advantages of cleats. Ive gone all utility. Ive even got a basket on the front.

And clip-in pedals would look faintly ridiculous on an lectric bike.

Darth Vader on a lectric bike with a basket on the front, now there is an image to conjure with:tongue:

Ranger

OK taken the plunge and have just ordered my clipless pedals and shoes. I haven't fallen over yet, but haven't tried to get up from the computer.

domtyler

Über Member
I have been with the new style Ultegra pedals (SPD-SL) on all my bikes exclusively for about a year now and would not be tempted to change. Easy enough to walk in, great connection to the bike and a doddle to clip in and out. I pity anyone who does not use this set up. :smile:

biking_fox

Guru
I must be one of the rarities then. Toe clips all the way. Smart(ish) Goretex shoes mean I don't have to worry about carrying a spare pare of shoes around with me. I've no problem with traffic lights, and I seem to be able to accelerate away as fast as those guys with cleats that I meet/pass.

There was a comment back up the thread about "pulling up". DO cleat riders really do that? Does is make a difference, or just tire you out quicker? I know my legs don't have much strength on a lift compared to a push.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
biking_fox said:
There was a comment back up the thread about "pulling up". DO cleat riders really do that? Does is make a difference, or just tire you out quicker? I know my legs don't have much strength on a lift compared to a push.

I try to apply power smoothly throughout the rev, so yep, I do pull up

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
biking_fox said:

Yep, it uses different muscle group and is more efficient, useful on hills...

levad

Veteran
I use toeclips at the moment but do not have them done up tight. I am thinking of getting some M324's. Do they really make as much difference as people claim, I have a few hills on my commute. Also, why are they called clipless when you are clipped in all the time?

Levad

Few cyclists actually pull the pedal through the up stroke, even among pro cyclists. The most that can be expected is that one uses less muscular energy holding ones feet in the correct position on the pedals and, by lifting the trailing leg, minimise the effort required to push down on the leading pedal. Having your leading leg lift the total weight of your trailing leg isnt very efficient.

Top Bottom