Clipless lessness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
Removed the Clipless pedals on my fast bike today. Contrary to the views of many, I did not notice any advantages, only disadvantages. And because I didn't like them I was reluctant to ride the bike.

The new Shimano MX80s look quite nice on the bike - and will allow me to tear about in my wellies should the mood take me.

I will put the Clipless pedals and shoes on eBay.

BrynCP

Über Member
I have pedals clipless one side and flat the other. Had to ride bike to shop and walk home, so wore normal trainers. I kept losing my footing and it just felt wrong.

When I first started cycling I couldn't understand why anybody would go clipless, they made you fall off! Now, I can't imagine ever cycling without them again.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I also wear my SPDs during the winter, just for clipetty cloppety sound they make. And also cos every time I walk through a school, I know I'm causing the caretaker extra anguish over the polished parquet floor in the hall.........( our caretaker was an absolute barsteward when I was a kid, so revenge is sweet)

Diggs

Veteran
I have pedals clipless one side and flat the other. Had to ride bike to shop and walk home, so wore normal trainers. I kept losing my footing and it just felt wrong.

When I first started cycling I couldn't understand why anybody would go clipless, they made you fall off! Now, I can't imagine ever cycling without them again.
Took the kids to the park the other day and used the Hardtail with flat/spds so I didn't bother with SPD shoes and I put rubbish trainers on (yes yes my fault).
200 yds before I was cursing feet slipping on the pedals

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
That's gotten to be my problem, I'd rather have the feet secure at times, rather than have them slipping about. If I use flat pedals, I have Nike Hikers that have very figured soles. They stay on the flat pedals well, but I also like the Shimano MTB shoes and pedals as I train into them.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I wear SPD shoes most of my waking hours. North Wave Missions, I think. They are great to walk in and very comfortable. Just like trainers but with a stiffer sole. They work pretty well on the bike too.

screenman

Legendary Member
Clipped in all the time on the bike for me, feels wrong otherwise, but there again I have been using them for about 25 years. I think it is partly down to what you use a bike for.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Flats with grippy "pegs" for me, and never had any problem with foot slipping.
Tried clipless several times over the years and just found they gave foot cramps. No amount of adjustment ever fixed the problem. I don't like having my foot fixed in one position for any length of time.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I go with saints if im going somewhere chalanging and there's a good chance of a otb crash rocks etc.
I just cant get my feet out fast enough with spds and get injured as I crash badly with a bike stuck to my leg.

xc or tarmac = spd as there just better. The spdsl are for warm weather only as there light weight airy shoes so freezing feet ifits below 15deg plus I use my mtb's in winter

Top Bottom