clipless or flat pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

so solid crew

Hi All,

I have recently changed to gravel tyres on my cube cross race pro. I have been doing a mixture of road, bridleway & canal path rides. should I switch to flat pedals from clipless? alternatively can anyone recommend any adaptors so I can stay clipless for road rides?

many thanks 👍

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Loads of input on this topic in the search function.

I don't use clipless but for my tuppence worth, i wouldn't recommend clipless on canal paths as there is likely to be a lot slow riding with plenty of stopping for pedestrians, obstacles, dogs etc on narrow sections.

Gunk

Guru
Try something like a Shimano PD-EH500

D398D33A-F559-43F3-8D90-492BB3796ECF.jpeg

si_c

Guru
Loads of input on this topic in the search function.

I don't use clipless but for my tuppence worth, i wouldn't recommend clipless on canal paths as there is likely to be a lot slow riding with plenty of stopping for pedestrians, obstacles, dogs etc on narrow sections.
I'd always opt for clipless in those circumstances as it's far easier to move the bike around if you're clipped in vs flats. That being said I'm using PD-A530s on my commuter as it gives me flexibility - I often use it for utility cycling like running to the shops as well and can just hop on and off using the flats.

I do find a stack height difference between the two sides as a consequence of swapping SPD shoes for trainers though.

Good morning,

I have pair of those flat on one side and clipless on the other and whilst they may look quite big in the picture I found that sometimes the front outside of my foot rotates the pedal on the spindle and my foot nearly falls off!

Just to be clear, falls of the pedal not my leg and this happens with or without the carrier bags.

Eventually I will get around to replacing them with clips and straps, but I wanted to give them time to see if I didn't like them just because they were different.

Bye

Ian

rivers

How far can I go?
I would just stay clipless. Its what you're used to. I keep my clipless on, even when on a slow meandering ride around the harbourside with my wife

Drago

Legendary Member
If you're skilled in their use then clipless are a boon in iffy conditions and give you options to access control skills you simply don't have with flats.

But the keys words there are if you're skilled in their use.

Most people try clipless before their fundamental riding skills are up to snuff, hence so many having the so called "clipless moments" early on.

And then there is simple preference.

Do what works for you, but if you do decide clipless is your thing then ensure you genuinely are good for it or you risk going for a swim.

PK99

Legendary Member
Hi All,

I have recently changed to gravel tyres on my cube cross race pro. I have been doing a mixture of road, bridleway & canal path rides. should I switch to flat pedals from clipless? alternatively can anyone recommend any adaptors so I can stay clipless for road rides?

many thanks 👍

I ride with SPD pedals and multi-release cleats in all circumstances (Road, Gravel, MTB and E-Bikes)- far better control than flat pedals and no issues unclipping when necessary.

Aside: The historical terminology that results in the linguistic gyration of clipping in and out of clipless pedals is so confusing for newcomers!
Flat, Toe clip and Cleats would be far more sensible.

Alex321

Veteran
Hi All,

many thanks 👍
I use these
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/pedals-pegs/boardman-hybrid-team-pedal-357434.html

SPD cleats one side, flat the other. I usually use the cleats, but the flats are handy if I just want to jump on quick while I am wearing regular shoes/trainers. And would be useful if I were riding on a muddy, slippery canal path :smile:

Top Bottom