Clipless pedals and recumbents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Denis99

Über Member
Still new to the world of recumbents, wish I had taken the step earlier.

Have always used clipless pedals from their first introduction on road bikes. Later with the increase in mountain biking I more or less switched to using the more walkable friendly Time ATAC pedals.

However, since riding the recumbent I could feel some tenderness with the knees, similar to when I used pedals and cleats with very little float ( before Times).

I initially used my Time pedals and cleats , but didn’t feel that these offered the same degree of float in the recumbent position.

Fast forward to now.

I have bought a pair of Sidi road shoes and fitted the Speedplay walkable pedals with adjustable float.

A bit of a faff to set up correctly, but the float and action is very good.

Initially very stiff to engage the pedal and cleat, but getting easier with repeated use.

Anyone using the Speedplay pedals, or have similar experiences?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'm pleased you found something that suits. Riding a recumbent trike without being clipped in is extremely dangerous, if your foot slips off the pedal it can dig in the ground and you'll run over it.

I've never used Speedplays, but if the work for you good on you.

jeffoi

My father in law gets issues with his knees due to the float on cleats... He uses time atac cleats, but to increase the float he puts them on the opposite feet (left cleat, right foot etc.)

Harder to unclip (because of the float), but it seems to help him.

I use the same cleats (the right way round) and Shimano MTB shoes (female specific) and my knee copes super well with recumbent riding :smile:

OP
OP
Denis99

Denis99

Über Member
The speedplay pedals and cleats have an almost frictionless float.

Easily the best pedal for float I have tried over the years.

But, I have to admit that the Time pedals have been very good and almost bullet proof considering the off road abuse I have given them.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Never tried Speedplay, I stick to SPD on all my bikes so I don't have to have so many shoes knocking about!

I do think I'm going to stick with flats on the first few rides of the new 2 wheeled recumbent though...

fatjel

Veteran
I found the trike was best ridden clipped in.
The two wheeler I have some shimano flat cycling shoes as clipping in just doesn’t work for me

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
If your knees are hurting, try changing down a gear or two. Higher RPM lower Pressure helps your knees.

P.S. I've found that the muscle on the inside top of the knee does a lot of work and tends to hurt a lot a first.

Top Bottom