Clipless Pedals FAQ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WychwoodTrev

I am just about to go out and try to buy some cycling shoes and pedals, I tried a few places yesterday and could not find anywhere who stock size 12s I tried 4 places going to 2 today

I cant buy online as I do need to try them on first

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I am just about to go out and try to buy some cycling shoes and pedals, I tried a few places yesterday and could not find anywhere who stock size 12s I tried 4 places going to 2 today

Where are you? There are loads of bike shops around, might be good to get on the telephone and ask if they have your size in stock before making a visit.

I'm now converted 100% to clipless pedals, I've had a couple of embarassing clipless moments, but I'm getting used to anticipating when to unclip, and clipping back into the pedals pretty quickly after a stop.

WychwoodTrev

Where are you? There are loads of bike shops around, might be good to get on the telephone and ask if they have your size in stock before making a visit.

I'm now converted 100% to clipless pedals, I've had a couple of embarassing clipless moments, but I'm getting used to anticipating when to unclip, and clipping back into the pedals pretty quickly after a stop.

I found some that fit and bought them Leisure Lake Bikes of Cheltenham had one pair of Mavic sprint so I got Mavic pedals to go with them

I had a practice in the kitchen clipping in and out leant against the wall then went out and rode up and down kept stopping and unclipping found it easy while thinking about it, going out for a ride today and hope I dont forget to twist when I stop

So far the impression I have is they are fantastic

gaz

Cycle Camera TV

Surely you have this problem where ever you go? I often find that shoe shops don't stock size 12 and i have to order them in.

WychwoodTrev

Surely you have this problem where ever you go? I often find that shoe shops don't stock size 12 and i have to order them in.

I must be realy lucky as I have never had to order shoes before or motorcycle boots but work boots do seem to sell out in the larger sizes first,
Just chuffed to bits I found some :biggrin:

Jay Kay

Hi,

Can I just ask, I have bought some Look Easy's but havent yet ridden in them. They are my first pair of clipless as I've only ever ridden with clips.

I've practised clipping in and out in the hallway and it seems quite natural. Although I have the same concerns as every newbie about having a "clipless moment" I'm actually more concerned that I will clip out then just slip as I put my foot down. I can barely stand up in my cycling shoes without slipping over and can just about walk. I look like a grandad trying rollerblades for the first time, doing alot of funky chicken type movements! So I'm really worried that when I'm on the road I'll unclip, put foot down, get no grip and do the splits at the lights!

I've never walked in the streets/on pavement with my cycle shoes, Do they grip better on the tarmac/pavement? Is it just my wooden floor and kitchen tiles are the worst surfaces to try and walk on with cycle shoes on?

Thanks

Jay

RoyPSB

Über Member
Had my road bike (Secteur Elite - lovr it) for about 6 weeks now, with SPDs. Had a few clipless moments initially but thought I was past all that, until yesterday.

Was obviously a bit over-confident and tried to time a set of lights without stopping or unclipping. Ran out of road and couldn't unclip in time so straight over - left knee took all the force!

Very embarrassing isn't it? Just a couple of miles from home. Was quite shocked when I got back to see how much blood was running down my leg and was on my shoes.

I'll get used to them eventually.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Hi,

Can I just ask, I have bought some Look Easy's but havent yet ridden in them. They are my first pair of clipless as I've only ever ridden with clips.

I've practised clipping in and out in the hallway and it seems quite natural. Although I have the same concerns as every newbie about having a "clipless moment" I'm actually more concerned that I will clip out then just slip as I put my foot down. I can barely stand up in my cycling shoes without slipping over and can just about walk. I look like a grandad trying rollerblades for the first time, doing alot of funky chicken type movements! So I'm really worried that when I'm on the road I'll unclip, put foot down, get no grip and do the splits at the lights!

I've never walked in the streets/on pavement with my cycle shoes, Do they grip better on the tarmac/pavement? Is it just my wooden floor and kitchen tiles are the worst surfaces to try and walk on with cycle shoes on?

Thanks

Jay
It's easy to walk in them in normal conditions. Marble and wooden floor can make it difficult but it's all about technique

Had my road bike (Secteur Elite - lovr it) for about 6 weeks now, with SPDs. Had a few clipless moments initially but thought I was past all that, until yesterday.

Was obviously a bit over-confident and tried to time a set of lights without stopping or unclipping. Ran out of road and couldn't unclip in time so straight over - left knee took all the force!

Very embarrassing isn't it? Just a couple of miles from home. Was quite shocked when I got back to see how much blood was running down my leg and was on my shoes.

I'll get used to them eventually.

Learn to trackstand ;)

GrasB

Veteran
It's easy to walk in them in normal conditions. Marble and wooden floor can make it difficult but it's all about technique
I also think there's a self for filling prophecy in falling over. Because you walk timidly you don't get such good footing so you're much more likely to slip

John90

Über Member
Good advice in this thread and one day I hope to make use of it. My new bike came with SPD's and cycle shoes, but I switched the pedals over to the flats I've always used with the intention of switching back at a later date to practice clipless riding down at the park. Anyway, having fitted the cleats to the shoes I then attached one of the pedals to the cleat to see how it works. Got it on with a struggle but can't get it off again so I now have one shoe with an immovable SPD attached. Need to swallow my embarrassment and take it back to the shop or my clipless days will be over before they began.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Good advice in this thread and one day I hope to make use of it. My new bike came with SPD's and cycle shoes, but I switched the pedals over to the flats I've always used with the intention of switching back at a later date to practice clipless riding down at the park. Anyway, having fitted the cleats to the shoes I then attached one of the pedals to the cleat to see how it works. Got it on with a struggle but can't get it off again so I now have one shoe with an immovable SPD attached. Need to swallow my embarrassment and take it back to the shop or my clipless days will be over before they began.

You'll be amazed how much force you have to use to remove a shoe that hasn't got all the leverage of your foot inside it and a leg on top of that. Get someone to hold the bike steady and twist the heel of the shoe outwards as hard as you can. It should eventually come out, but it does seem an alarming amount of effort required! The movement needs to be as horizontal as you can in relation to the top of the pedal.

John90

Über Member
You'll be amazed how much force you have to use to remove a shoe that hasn't got all the leverage of your foot inside it and a leg on top of that. Get someone to hold the bike steady and twist the heel of the shoe outwards as hard as you can. It should eventually come out, but it does seem an alarming amount of effort required! The movement needs to be as horizontal as you can in relation to the top of the pedal.

Hey, you're right - that worked! It never occurred to me that it would make so much difference attaching the pedal to the bike and using the force/leverage of my leg. Sounds obvious now you've said it of course but there you go.

Fiona N

Veteran
Of course it's possible to have the best of both worlds if you can track down a pair of Crank Bros Quattro pedals - road pedals that work with mtb cleats and mtb shoes - or mtb cleats and road shoes (which means you need a little rubbery surround on the sole for the cleat). The quattros have the 'eggbeater' style centre section but with a platform to spread the load better. I find them absolutely ideal for audaxing with a pair of racing mtb shoes (as stiff as road shoes) as there's loads of float (much better than spds in this respect) and I can walk without any problems (including wearing the cleats).

Top Bottom