Clipless Pedals FAQ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
interesting, magnets!

Holdsworth

Über Member
I have recently bought an EBC Country Traveler which I eventually hope to take touring. It has flat pedal fitted ATM but I have found that I prefer the solidarity and feel of clipless pedals on the road bike.

I see that CRC sell these pedals, would they be good for long distance and also a lot of general everyday riding and would they be compatible with the standard Shimano MTB cleat? My shoes are the Lidl MTB shoes that were for sale back in March and I quite like using them, even if the cleat isn't fully recessed and makes constant noise when walking on a hard surface.

*Edit* Just realised that the A250's are single sided, I think this may be a disadvantage in everyday use as a commuter, not so bad when touring but this isn't going to be a huge percentage of my riding on this bike. Maybe in this case the M520's like I have on my roadie would be more suitable, but I am unsure of how they'll fare on a tour.

rossjevans

I have recently bought an EBC Country Traveler which I eventually hope to take touring. It has flat pedal fitted ATM but I have found that I prefer the solidarity and feel of clipless pedals on the road bike.

I see that CRC sell these pedals, would they be good for long distance and also a lot of general everyday riding and would they be compatible with the standard Shimano MTB cleat? My shoes are the Lidl MTB shoes that were for sale back in March and I quite like using them, even if the cleat isn't fully recessed and makes constant noise when walking on a hard surface.

*Edit* Just realised that the A250's are single sided, I think this may be a disadvantage in everyday use as a commuter, not so bad when touring but this isn't going to be a huge percentage of my riding on this bike. Maybe in this case the M520's like I have on my roadie would be more suitable, but I am unsure of how they'll fare on a tour.

I am also interested in this. I like the look of both the A520/A530 touring pedals but would prefer double sided. Any suggestions on a suitable alternative?

Holdsworth

Über Member
I am also interested in this. I like the look of both the A520/A530 touring pedals but would prefer double sided. Any suggestions on a suitable alternative?

I've ended up going for some plain old double-sided m520's on the advice from the people in the Touring section. I can't see myself using anything other than clipless pedals, even for trips to town and apparently the large platform of the a520 may not help at all with foot pain. I prefer double-sided pedals for convenience when commuting so I chose them.

Can I just add - for those who find releasing a challenge. In spite of what the instructions tell you, don't twist your ankle outwards to release. The muscles which take care of foot rotation are small and weak, and difficult to control whilst keeping the sole flat relative to the pedal. Instead use the big muscle on the ouside of your thigh. Throw your whole leg sideways, out away from the bike, allowing the foot to follow. Combine this movement with a quick jab inwards of your toe and you'll be unclipped before you know it.

rossjevans

I've ended up going for some plain old double-sided m520's on the advice from the people in the Touring section. I can't see myself using anything other than clipless pedals, even for trips to town and apparently the large platform of the a520 may not help at all with foot pain. I prefer double-sided pedals for convenience when commuting so I chose them.

Thanks for that. Those seem to be quite highly rated and cheap too :smile:

On the subject of clipless, I was wondering if it is possible to pedal unclipped whilst wearing SPD shoes. For example if approaching a place where you anticipate you will need to stop (such as a roundabout or junction) is it possible to unclip one foot and then carrying on pedaling until you are able to safely clip in again?

On the subject of clipless, I was wondering if it is possible to pedal unclipped whilst wearing SPD shoes. For example if approaching a place where you anticipate you will need to stop (such as a roundabout or junction) is it possible to unclip one foot and then carrying on pedaling until you are able to safely clip in again?

Beginers often us this as a strategy but the fact is - after a while you'll get so familiar with the pedal's operation that you'll unclip only when you need to. Unclipping from clip-in pedals is not really the 'event' it seems, after a very short period it becomes as familiar taking your foot off a flat pedal.

Sonofpear

thinking of upgrading to clipless soon and found this helpful, just a quick question, do the shoes come with the cleats on, or do they come with the pedals, or do i but them seperately? been doing a little research but a little unsure of which type to go for.

GrasB

Veteran
Shoes will come without cleats (as the cleat matches a specific pedal type), typically pedals will come with a set of cleats. I'd always recommend buying a second set of cleats to go with you pedals when you get the pedals incase you manage to damage the cleat beyond use.

Borbus

I have gone clipless. SPD-SLs... I don't find unclipping a problem and I'm quite happy to unclip at the last moment. The hard bit for me is clipping in, though. When turning right out of a junction this is particularly bad, I find myself coasting across the road slowly without being able to pedal while trying to feel my way into the other pedal... not fun especially when the junction is uphill. In fact today I chickened out of one junction that is quite busy and uphill and turned into a pedestrian with a strange walk for a little while. Hopefully this will become easier...

Top Bottom