Clipless Pedals FAQ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Merlin

I had more "clipless moments" with toe-clips and straps than I've had with SPDs. They often involved alcohol - funny that. Now I'm older and more sensible I drink less which might explain the reduction. I still use both on different bikes because I don't always want to take a change of footware.

bennydorano

Veteran
I've been having knee bother for a fair while, I recently changed (about 2 months ago) from just wearing astro turf trainers and flat pedals to SPD's and I've actually noticed an improvement in my knee. An unexpected bonus! Not sure what has caused this, slightly different muscle use maybe?

BSRU

A Human Being
I've been having knee bother for a fair while, I recently changed (about 2 months ago) from just wearing astro turf trainers and flat pedals to SPD's and I've actually noticed an improvement in my knee. An unexpected bonus! Not sure what has caused this, slightly different muscle use maybe?

The main reason I use spd's is that it allows you to always place you feet in the correct position on the pedals, without having to look down and check.

I recently bought SPD-SL's for my first clipless pedals. I've got on brilliantly with them. They aren't hard to walk in either - not natural perhaps, but no where near hard!

I'd reccomend them to anyone. The only thing I would say about clipless pedals as a whole is that they've really stopped me filtering through traffic at lights so much, so if you travel through heavy traffic on your commute, I'd probably sick to flats. Course, this could simply be inexperience on my part ...

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I'd reccomend them to anyone. The only thing I would say about clipless pedals as a whole is that they've really stopped me filtering through traffic at lights so much, so if you travel through heavy traffic on your commute, I'd probably sick to flats. Course, this could simply be inexperience on my part ...

That is just something you have to get used to. I commute through london on SPD-SL

Hmm have I been thick? When I bought my cleats, I bought 'yellow' spd-sl cleats as the trim on my bike is yellow... but the poster above suggests the cleats are different by different colour, and the yellows wear out faster? Whats the difference?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Hmm have I been thick? When I bought my cleats, I bought 'yellow' spd-sl cleats as the trim on my bike is yellow... but the poster above suggests the cleats are different by different colour, and the yellows wear out faster? Whats the difference?

The red ones have no float.

Hmm. Does it make a lot of difference? I'm liking the yellows so don't see a need to change, unless someone cares to sell the virtues of the red fixed cleats to me?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Hmm. Does it make a lot of difference? I'm liking the yellows so don't see a need to change, unless someone cares to sell the virtues of the red fixed cleats to me?
Some say the the fixed channels the power better the the pedal. That may be so but only if they are set up exactly right. And if they are not set up exactly right then you will more than likely get some knee pain.

In my opinion it is all down to personal preference, some people just dont like the float.

thehairycycler

I got the yellow ones when I first got them, for the same reason as yourself. I now use the red ones.

The yellow did give you a bit of movement on the pedals and were IMO harder to clip out with as a beginer the also became lose and I lost the washer and nut on two of the parts on the left cleat (became loose at first then i tightend them, eventually falling off 20miles into a 50mile circuit). I bought the red to see the difference I feel I have more control in my pedal stroke and my avg MPH has went up especially on hills. I've checked the nut on these spd-sl regularly and they have always been tight. I might just have had a dodgy set or the float might have helped loosen them.

If I were you I would try them when you require replacement cleats and make your decision from there. It may help or hinder your knee

Borbus

I'm seriously thinking of ditching my clipless pedals and fitting flat pedals to my road bike. I've found myself much more willing to go out on my hybrid/commuter bike than my new road bike and I've realised why: I dread the beginning of every bike ride on my road bike because I have to navigate my way out of the city. The thing is, I love cycling in the city, but as you all know one of the most important things for effective city cycling is confidence.

With clipless I have severely reduced confidence at being able to pull out of a junction, or put myself in that position on the road in only so much time etc. It's mainly because I still find it really hard to clip in with the second foot. I probably manage the clip in quickly about 1/10 of the time, which is just pure luck. The rest of the time I'm having to continue pedaling while not clipped in praying that my foot won't slip off the pedal.

It's been months now, but due to not wanting to go out in the first place I haven't practised as much as I would have liked. How long does it take to get as good at clipless as I am with flat pedals?

Also I think my shoes are too big for me. The LBS said there needs to be loads of toe room, but even with the cleats adjusted all the way back (which makes it even harder to clip in) the cleat feels way too far forward. This has given me Achilles tendon pain on longer rides. Unfortunately hardly any LBS's stock a good selection of shoes.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I'm seriously thinking of ditching my clipless pedals and fitting flat pedals to my road bike. I've found myself much more willing to go out on my hybrid/commuter bike than my new road bike and I've realised why: I dread the beginning of every bike ride on my road bike because I have to navigate my way out of the city. The thing is, I love cycling in the city, but as you all know one of the most important things for effective city cycling is confidence.

With clipless I have severely reduced confidence at being able to pull out of a junction, or put myself in that position on the road in only so much time etc. It's mainly because I still find it really hard to clip in with the second foot. I probably manage the clip in quickly about 1/10 of the time, which is just pure luck. The rest of the time I'm having to continue pedaling while not clipped in praying that my foot won't slip off the pedal.

It's been months now, but due to not wanting to go out in the first place I haven't practised as much as I would have liked. How long does it take to get as good at clipless as I am with flat pedals?

Also I think my shoes are too big for me. The LBS said there needs to be loads of toe room, but even with the cleats adjusted all the way back (which makes it even harder to clip in) the cleat feels way too far forward. This has given me Achilles tendon pain on longer rides. Unfortunately hardly any LBS's stock a good selection of shoes.

What about pedals with flat one side and SPD's the other?

Re shoe sizing, as far as I know a thumbs width between toe and end of shoe is enough room. Any more and your feet will slide about in the shoe.

I got the yellow ones when I first got them, for the same reason as yourself. I now use the red ones.

The yellow did give you a bit of movement on the pedals and were IMO harder to clip out with as a beginer the also became lose and I lost the washer and nut on two of the parts on the left cleat (became loose at first then i tightend them, eventually falling off 20miles into a 50mile circuit). I bought the red to see the difference I feel I have more control in my pedal stroke and my avg MPH has went up especially on hills. I've checked the nut on these spd-sl regularly and they have always been tight. I might just have had a dodgy set or the float might have helped loosen them.

If I were you I would try them when you require replacement cleats and make your decision from there. It may help or hinder your knee

Interesting. The nuts come loose on my yellow cleats too. Luckily I noticed, and have retightened them twice - I just presumed this was normal. Wonder if fits a yellow thing... I think I'll give the reds a go once the cleats wear out, I have a spare yellow set anyway in case I don't get on.

hotmetal

I've used clipless pedals for years and find them far superior to flats for my type of riding. (I ride predominantly XC or road) My more hardcore DH/Freeride cycling buddies have changed back to studded flats and shin protectors). The only real 'moments' I've had were with traditional toe-clips. Oh and I did very nearly crash a demo bike outside the shop because I had Specialized cleats and the dem bike had Shimano SPDs. They go in ok but don't release. D'oh!
:tongue:

I use the Crank Bros Candys on all my bikes, which means both mountain bikes and the carbon road bike. :wacko:
To me, they have these advantages:
1 - clip in from either side without having to spin the pedal round (unlike most road cleats)
2 - one pair of shoes for all my cycling (and therefore space and £££ saved)
3 - plenty of float to preserve my dodgy knees
4 - off-road I'm less likely to clout my shins like the guy on the previous page (I have done before and know how much it hurts)
5 - greater familiarity with clipping in and out because it's the same on all my bikes
6 - mountain bike clipless cleats are small and are recessed in the shoe so you can walk without getting tipped back, scratching cafe floors etc etc.
7 - compared with flat pedals they're far more efficient

Admittedly they're probably not quite as efficient as a pair of pure road pedals, but for me the other advantages outweigh that factor.
Also the Crank Bros pedals do not have adjustable cleat tension. This has not generally been a problem but I do find that they tend to release rather easily if you twist your foot, say, to look behind you when stationary. I get one or two odd looks or smartarse comments from the occasional 'purist' roadie, but I just tell them it ain't a fashion parade and I'm not racing anyone. If I only had a road bike I'd consider pure road cleats/pedals though.
:whistle:

Top Bottom