Clipless Pedals FAQ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Got my peddles on the bike now and have to say my initial thoughts are its tougher to clip in than out. Like others have said any sudden unplanned stops will be a test.

EDIT:

Had a quick trial ride earlier and i can see how easy it will be to collect my first moment but the advantages are excellent.:thumbsup:

Corgi Kid

That was a really informative read. I am thinking of buying a pair of clip-in shoes as I have a set of 105 clip pedals for when I get better at riding. Can I use the shoes without cleats on my normal toe clipped pedals, this would help me get used to the shoe and to break them in a bit.:thumbsup:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
If your pedals are spd-sl 105 then you probably won't be able to use the shoes with toe clips.
3 bolt cleated shoes have smooth soles and you will ruin them if you walk or pedal in them without a cleat.

Corgi Kid

If your pedals are spd-sl 105 then you probably won't be able to use the shoes with toe clips.
3 bolt cleated shoes have smooth soles and you will ruin them if you walk or pedal in them without a cleat.

Thanks Gaz, that rules out that idea. I might as well just buy the shoes and put the 105s on.

Cheers

Slaav

Veteran
Having used toe clips as a lad at school, I hesitated initially to go clipless... when I did, my what a difference!

I would suggest that anybody who doesn't at least try them is really missing a trick.

I find them most useful climbing and also pulling away from lights when in the wrong gear. The total stroke and 'pull' you can get into each revolution is truly amazing!

try them - and no actual moment yet; even in heavy London traffic :smile:

Davidc

Guru
I tried clipless (prefer the Dutch term - click pedals) a few years ago, for about 500 miles and disliked them. I went back to toe clips and sold the SPD pedals and shoes at a profit!

I'm on an organised ride later in the year where clipless are compulsory - in France and they claim it's a safety rule!!!!!!!!!!

So - have bought M520 pedals and fitted the cleats to a pair of Lidl cycling shoes. They're now on my tourer. I'll use them to get back used to the system and decide whether to keep them after the ride in October. Have to decide whether or not to use them for 101 miles of EE next month. Observations so far:

The Lidl shoes are much more comfortable than the Shimano ones from 2 yeras ago were.
I never did find clipping in and out difficult, but occasionally miss when clipping in - as I did the first time round. I just can't see how to aim my foot correctly every time when it's finding the pedal.
I still don't really like the sensation of being physically attached to the bike.
I don't get any speed or power advantage over toe-clips. Both have a roughly 10% gain over flat plain pedals.
I have to put my saddle 15mm higher when using clipless to get the correct riding position, which means remembering to get off the saddle when stopped - it's too high to safely put a foot down. (It was only 10mm up with the Shimano shoes which was manageable).
I like being able to just plonk my foot on the pedal without flipping it to get the toe-clip on top. It's as lazy as flat pedals! This would presumably be lost if I changed to pedals with a clip only on one side.

I've used toe-clips for decades, and unclipping seems to just replace - well - unclipping as an action so I've not yet had a 'moment', either 2 years ago or now, but I can see how it could happen so still a little concerned.

Borbus

Switched to red SPD-SL cleats today. They feel just fine so I don't think I'll be using the yellow ones again. As far as I can tell, for me, the yellow ones will just wear themselves and the pedal out quicker as well as being harder to unclip. So it seems red all the way for me.

Corgi Kid

Ive brought my bike into work today and will be changing the standard pedals for a set of 105 clipless. I bought a nice pair of Shimano road shoes and cleats to. I am hoping to ride home from work at 2pm and take the senic route throught the country park. At least if I come a cropper I wont have to worry about cars. I have been walking around the office all morning trying to get used to the shoes. They feel like high heels (not that i wear heals :whistle:).

peelywally

today on my mtb with flat pedals , i tore my calf open going through a kissing gate because my wet foot slipped off

while my left spun the crank , i was on middle ring and the big ring got me like a saw

wouldnt have happened with clipless pedals ,

2hyl2yf.jpg

i took the spd`s off it for some reason or another ,

they will be going back on asap

MickL

Über Member
Ive tried riding with SPD's(Commuter ones) but I was never able to find the sweet spot on my right foot, mostly due to the fact I have slightly larger ball of the foot to the left, all though riding with them was no problem but it was causing my right hip some problems after couple of months riding, so now Ive had to ditch them and will putting them on ebay, shame really because I did enjoy cycling in them just going to start using clips (strapless) for now.

ajwilcox

Have enjoyed using SPD clipless pedals for a few years. Bought the first ones in Aldi or Lidl good value. Shoes are still in use but the pedal bearings gave out. Replaced with Wellgo ones. I use the commuter type (clip one side, standard pedal the other) on a road bike. I feel as though I have lost a couple of gears in either direction when I am not using the clips.

richo_rider

I've been riding with SPD pedals and SCOTT shoes for about 9mths now, recently bought a new road bike and have transferred the pedals but now thinking of going to proper road pedals.

Any advice on what to choose & if it's a good move to make?!

Not had any clipless moments except on my first two rides with them.... and those moments were more than enough to last me a while! (Cringe)

Keith Oates

Janner
If by saying proper road pedals you mean something like the Shimano R540 SPD - SL then it will really depend on what type of use you are doing with your road bike. They are better when you are actually on the road riding than the normal SPD types but there are two drawbacks. The shoes are not so easy to walk in with the clips that protrude from the bottom and they are also not so convenient for clipping in and out if you are commuting and have to clip in and out very often for traffic lights etc. The pedals themselves are good as they have a wider base and one of the advantages is that the sole of your foot (shoe) is lower and more in line with the axle of the pedal. My personal preference is the Shimano SPD - SL type but not everyone will agree and for sure there are cheaper pedals that you can buy.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
They are better when you are actually on the road riding than the normal SPD types but there are two drawbacks. The shoes are not so easy to walk in with the clips that protrude from the bottom and they are also not so convenient for clipping in and out if you are commuting and have to clip in and out very often for traffic lights etc.
They really aren't that hard to walk in. I've posted a video in thi thread previously where I walk in them very easily and look normal doing so.
They also aren't that hard to use in busy cities. Once you understand the principle of clipping in with them and have got that nearly perfected then it doesn't take that much extra time than an egg beater to clip in. I can even do it fixed, where you had to clip in first time or you are in trouble.

today on my mtb with flat pedals , i tore my calf open going through a kissing gate because my wet foot slipped off

while my left spun the crank , i was on middle ring and the big ring got me like a saw

wouldnt have happened with clipless pedals ,

2hyl2yf.jpg

i took the spd`s off it for some reason or another ,

they will be going back on asap

I slipped off my flats a few years ago. had some lovely marks up my calf about six of them. After getting home I just cleaned the mud off
with cold water and then smeared honey on the cuts after that wrapped cling film around my leg (you can see how it is getting on) for 36 hrs
all was fine no scars left ether. Did try clip after that but off road I found very difficult un-like my road bike.

Top Bottom