Clipless Pedals FAQ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Interesting. The nuts come loose on my yellow cleats too. Luckily I noticed, and have retightened them twice - I just presumed this was normal. Wonder if fits a yellow thing... I think I'll give the reds a go once the cleats wear out, I have a spare yellow set anyway in case I don't get on.

You are either not doing them tight enough or the threads in your shoe are worn.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
7 - compared with flat pedals they're far more efficient

interesting, have you got the link for the study that supports this assertion or was it just your own impression?

tsddave

Thanks alot for this ...I had my 1st experiences today with SPD.

I was feeling abit concerned about the whole thing so I did my research on this forum and watching the odd video on youtube.
This video

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwHqcFlOI4
I found to be very good and the lady in it has perfect legs!

Once I got my shoes and the cleats in place I practised for about 10mins clipping in and out with both feet.
I then set to the road and did an hours cycle to practise with them further. I didnt have any issues and feel that some of the warnings are abit strong in some (but not this one) articles ive seen online.
It didnt take long at all to the the hang of it and I had a couple of instances during the ride where I needed to stop fast and I managed to get my feet out fast each time.
I had the pedals on a low tension and I would agree this is perfect for those starting out.
I went up and down some pretty steep climbs (thats how it is where I live in Norway) and didnt feel the need for more tension either.

Now I have seen the extra power spd provides I will never go back! I was chuckling at the extra power I had on climbs and extra speed I had on the straights.

Anyone considering spd and is concerned I would urge you to just go for it - its really not so bad!

Moss

Really useful advice that thanks for posting. I am on the fence as what to purchase as it sounds like an improvement on trainers.

Just bought the (New on the Market 2012) Shimano XT Duo Pedals for my Road Bike! Clip in on one side; and plain Pedal the other side! Turned the adjustment to maximum Negativity and it becomes easier to release from the pedals. They retail at £74.99 (Ok £75,) but if you shop around it's possible to get them for a lot less.

Here's a link to the type of pedal : http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=67250

david k

Hi
so i need a 2 bolt system

HovR

Über Member
Great article! Learning something new every day.
biggrin.gif

If I may suggest something, maybe some photos could be added displaying the differences between the pedal options?

Maybe some images likes these for the clipless section:

cleatcompare.jpg

a530.jpg

And this for the clipped section?

toeclips.jpg

As they say, an image speaks 1000 words!

-HovR

Top Bottom