Clipless Pedals FAQ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Only issue I've had since changing to clipless is having a bolt on one spd cleat coming loose. This meant I literaly could not free my foot from the pedal.

Luckily as I was starting to fall to the right I finally remembered I had another foot and managed to free that one just before I would of fallen into the car next to me at the lights.

And yes I now check the tightness fairly frequently
I’ve added a couple of spare cleat bolts to my little tool kit I take with me everywhere, just in case.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I’ve added a couple of spare cleat bolts to my little tool kit I take with me everywhere, just in case.
I usually put a little spot of Loctite or Threadlock or whatever it's called on the bolt when fitting.........not sure if it helps or not to be honest, but haven't had any bolts working loose so far.

Hello You might think about removing the cleat screws and using some loctite before re fixing it would be an added safety measure. I must admit I'm quite heavy handed with Any screws and nuts and tend to do everything up as tight as possible, not always to my advantage either as some things require a little finesse!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Only issue I've had since changing to clipless is having a bolt on one spd cleat coming loose. This meant I literaly could not free my foot from the pedal.

Luckily as I was starting to fall to the right I finally remembered I had another foot and managed to free that one just before I would of fallen into the car next to me at the lights.

This is exactly the reason why I will never ride with my feet mechanically attached to the bike in any way. It's inherently dangerous.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Cleat bolts are M5 countersunk, bottle cage bolts are also M5. If you have rack mountings but don't have a rack then you may fit spare M5 bolts on frame as they are M5 as well. So by judicious use of bolts on the bike you may not need to carry spare cleat bolts in your toolkit.

Suddabym

Are there any decent cheap pedals that are clipless one side and flat for normal riding on the other ? If so which ones are decent please ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Are there any decent cheap pedals that are clipless one side and flat for normal riding on the other ? If so which ones are decent please ?
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/buying-new-pedals.245177/ :whistle:

Suddabym

no clips for me thanks, tried them. had the dreaded "clipless moment" after an emergency stop (damned pedestrians) cue the falling over and 2 broken bones in me arm. i'll stick to what I know :smile:
omg lol glad your ok though I must admit I'm a bit worried about what happens if I need to release them really quickly.

simongt

Guru
This is exactly the reason why I will never ride with my feet mechanically attached to the bike in any way. It's inherently dangerous.
Interesting observation. Last year when I was hit from behind by an errant car, I was clipped in; Shimano M515. I still have no recollection of how I actually fell off my bike at the time, :whistle: but my point is that the M515s didn't impede my fall off the bike in any way. This was confirmed by an orthapaedic consultant who stated that if my feet had been 'stuck' by the pedals, my injuries would have been different.
But each to their own; if you don't like clipless, then fair enough. :thumbsup:

Suddabym

Finally arrived and ready to go thanks everyone for your input just need some shoes now lol
Hope they are on the right way lol

Attachments

• 9E4E0ECC-69BF-416F-8170-6EFF6F171A09.jpeg
    9E4E0ECC-69BF-416F-8170-6EFF6F171A09.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 49
Top Bottom