Clipless pedals for trail/MTB use

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Just looking at some clipless pedals for trail/MTB use. This would be my first set of clipless and as such im unsure what to go for.

I do like the look of pedals which have a normal flat side and of course the SPD mech on the other side. I think the Shimano M324 would be my first choice, but does anyone have any better suggestions for around a similar price range?

I should add that im currently using some Wellgo 987U pedals and find that my feet keep slipping off, resulting in some battered shins :tongue:

rsvdaz

I'm using Shimano A530's on my mtb..best of both worlds

pedal_A530.jpg

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Shimano M520. Doublesided and saves fannying around wondering whether you have got the right side or not.

PpPete

Legendary Member
4F said:
Shimano M520. Doublesided and saves fannying around wondering whether you have got the right side or not.

+1
All my bikes have these. Sometimes seems a pain having to changes shoes to go for a ride, but small effort for the ease of use once on the bike.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
I ran A530s for 6 months before saying sod it and getting M520s. Once you are used to clips you'll likely not go back. Although a point to note you could get the m520s as you can get a flat pedal insert that clips into the mechanism if you wish.

Abs

KONA-OE-Shimano-pdm-540-med.JPG

rsvdaz

i have the m520's on my road bike the reason i went for the a530's on the mtb is that is the bike i would normally grab for a quick spin to the shops..so it doesnt restrict you on what shoes you have on

colinr

M520s are dirt cheap too (around £20 on CRC last time I checked). As for shoes, I'm perfectly happy clattering about in MTB shoes wherever I go.

I'm not into Mtb'ing so I'm not really qualified to say but I think I would prefer the double side option for trails like the M520's. Although for utility cycling I've found the similar M424 which also have a cage are more useful, if I miss the clip its no problem, I just clip in the next revolution. There's other rearer version of the same theme which I think just have less plastic.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I put EBC's double sided "Revolution Contact two-Way" pedals on the MTB as my intro to clipless. I then put M520's on the road bike. I've never ridden without spuds since. Wished I'd gone for 520's on both. I thought that I would at least have the option of riding connected or loose but have always gone for connected (can't bring myself to say "clipped into clipless"). Another advantage to having 520's on both bikes would be that GF's son couldn't borrow MTB whenever he feels like it, as I'm sure he does, but never locks it:ohmy:, as I've got the keys on my keyring.

monkeypony

AndyCarolan said:

Do not use these. They are the worst of both worlds. The flats side isn't big enought to offer a decent grip platform and the SPD side clogs with mud easily so you'll spend forever trying to get the cleat in.

The 520s will do fine for the trails and if you want, get some proper flats for the big stuff.

OP
OP
AndyCarolan

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Thanks for the replies guys... the 520s do look like the pedals to go for I guess. Im just concerned that if I want to go out with normal shoes etc on, i wont be able to :/

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
AndyCarolan said:
Thanks for the replies guys... the 520s do look like the pedals to go for I guess. Im just concerned that if I want to go out with normal shoes etc on, i wont be able to :/

All of the SPD type pedals can have a "flat" clipped into them to facilitate none cycle shoe riding. See the picture I linked on my previous post. Not sure if that version on wiggle comes with them though.

M540 pedals with the "flat" installed....
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shimano_M540_Pedals_-_OE/5360050933/

Abs

blockend

monkeypony said:
Do not use these. They are the worst of both worlds. The flats side isn't big enought to offer a decent grip platform and the SPD side clogs with mud easily so you'll spend forever trying to get the cleat in.

The 520s will do fine for the trails and if you want, get some proper flats for the big stuff.

I beg to differ on this. Three of my bikes have double sided SPDs but one has click-flop pedals. If you keep a bike for trundling to the chippy/newsagent/off licence as well as the open road, the platform is miles better for balancing trainers than a spud.

If you have a high chip shop to highway ratio I'd opt for BMX pedals. Almost as sticky as a clip in with trainers.

Top Bottom