Clipless pedals, odd question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
Hello all

Just ordered myself a nice new bike but will obviously need new pedals. I went clipless a while back and despite two falls I intend to use SPD-M520's that I have been using on my current bike.

My question, is there any issue in terms of cleat/pedal issue when using one set of shoes/cleats and two sets of pedals, on e set on each of two bikes?

Thanks

Darren

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
No problem at all. I have mixture of m520s and XT SPD pedals on several bikes and use the one pair of shoes/cleats to ride them all.

MiK1138

Veteran
nope, use the same shoes for my Roadie as I do for my MTB, SPD-M520 on the Roadie, cant remember what make the MTB pedals are

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Brilliant, thanks! Did seem like an odd question but it was nagging at me!

Time to find a new set then at a good price.

simon.r

Person
Not really an issue as such, but if one bike has a lot more use than the other you can get to a point where clipping in / out is easier on one bike than the other. Just something to be aware of when you change bikes.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Can I also make a suggestion for you to try the multi release cleats. May save any future falls as they are a bit easier to release, especially in a panic. Shimano SH56 rather than the SH51/

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Can I also make a suggestion for you to try the multi release cleats. May save any future falls as they are a bit easier to release, especially in a panic. Shimano SH56 rather than the SH51/

Yes not sure which I currently have but still certainly ensure I buy the multi release.

My first fall was really poor judgement in assessing the road condition. I was crossing a river, the road enters the river and there is a footpath if you're not in a car. Subsequently the 50 metres of road beyond the river is wet.

I crossed the footpath and because there were pedestrians on the other side I hopped off the kerb onto the road close to the river. It was wet and slimy and the bike went straight over, I didn't even have time to think about unclipping.

Second time was poor judgement again, tree down on a narrow country road. I gave way to oncoming traffic, I should have unclipped, stood and waited. Instead I coated very slowly waiting for the car but I drifted into what I thought was a light layer of sand, it was deeper and again the front wheel whipped out and down I went, only this time I broke a rib.

Painful and embarrassing.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Yes not sure which I currently have but still certainly ensure I buy the multi release.

My first fall was really poor judgement in assessing the road condition. I was crossing a river, the road enters the river and there is a footpath if you're not in a car. Subsequently the 50 metres of road beyond the river is wet.

I crossed the footpath and because there were pedestrians on the other side I hopped off the kerb onto the road close to the river. It was wet and slimy and the bike went straight over, I didn't even have time to think about unclipping.

Second time was poor judgement again, tree down on a narrow country road. I gave way to oncoming traffic, I should have unclipped, stood and waited. Instead I coated very slowly waiting for the car but I drifted into what I thought was a light layer of sand, it was deeper and again the front wheel whipped out and down I went, only this time I broke a rib.

Painful and embarrassing.
To be fair, both of those falls sound like they would have happened and had the same consequences regardless of being clipped in or not. Whenever I have fallen off my bike I always seem to become miraculously disconnected from my bike without having to consciously think about it. There will be others along shortly to say the same. I run the clip tension at maximum and use standard SH51 cleats so my feet stay clipped in when I am hooning around doing bunny hops and stuff :hyper:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

To be fair, both of those falls sound like they would have happened and had the same consequences regardless of being clipped in or not. Whenever I have fallen off my bike I always seem to become miraculously disconnected from my bike without having to consciously think about it. There will be others along shortly to say the same. I run the clip tension at maximum and use standard SH51 cleats so my feet stay clipped in when I am honing around doing bunny hops and stuff :hyper:

Yes, I agree. Particularly the first accident.

While I was off the bike healing i did consider going back to flat pedals. But I've been back on the bike for several weeks now and "getting back in the saddle" had brought back the confidence I had lost following the fall.

pclay

Veteran
I have 3 bikes, 2 with SPD M520 and one with SPD A520. I use the same pairs of shoes for each bike with no problems.

More importantly, what new bike have you ordered?

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

I have 3 bikes, 2 with SPD M520 and one with SPD A520. I use the same pairs of shoes for each bike with no problems.

More importantly, what new bike have you ordered?

After some switching to and fro between a couple of models I have bought a Cannonade CAAD12 Ultegra. Hopefully will be collecting it Friday, also waiting for a pair of Hunt Aero Racing Wide wheels. Will then be selling the Aksiums as nearly new.

Top Bottom