Clipless pedals poll.

How many of us ride clipless

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
derrick

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
uh-huh, is that right. methinks you're a bit of a:o)
And thats putting it mildly:whistle:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
[QUOTE 2454098, member: 259"]I've never felt comfortable with calling them clipless pedals. In Dutch, very sensibly, they call them klikpedallen - click pedals.[/quote]

1182590462_44930ca231_z.jpg

1181730583_d95b72ffe7_z.jpg

fimm

Veteran
Flat pedals on the Brompton (and the unused MTB)
Clipless on the road bike and the TT bike (though an advantage of running SPD-SLs is that you can ride short distances in trainers if required - for example to take the bike to a shop (actually I once did a proper ride in trainers when I found I'd left my proper shoes behind...))

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
The flat pedallers are a select and enlightened few.

Teuchter

Über Member
In process of regressing (as purists may see it) from SPDs, through toe clips to flats again. Not sure for my own style of riding if being clipped in was of much (if any) benefit. I had to admit to myself that a part of the motivation to not use flats was the perception that "proper" cyclists use foot retention.

I'm quite looking forward to having the ability to commute to work in sandals during summer and yes, it is my stated intention to break as many of The Rules as possible.

I must have ridden over 10,000 miles on SPDs over the last few years and have nothing against them except that I'd like to just hop on my bike in whatever I happen to be wearing when the mood takes me. Worries over knees are also a concern as mine have been a bit dodgy for years (too many motorbike accidents in my youth). On the several longer (50 to 75 mile) rides I've done, all using SPDs, my knees are always a bit sore afterwards. I could fanny about with cleat position to see if it improves or I could just give flats a try over longer distances.

I've currently got toe clips on my (80s) roadbike once again while I'm waiting for new flat pedals to arrive from Wiggle and as I do a lot of cross town riding during the week, I'm really noticing how they're that bit more of a hassle than flats or SPDs to get into quickly at traffic lights and roundabouts. I'm getting used to them again though, probably managing to get in on the first pass without pausing the pedaling about 50% of the time. I used to ride fixed gear with toe clips and now wonder how the hell I managed it!

When I get the fixed gear back on the road, it will still be equipped with SPDs though. Safety and all that. I don't generally do more than 30 miles in a day on it though.

Licramite

Über Member
well I clipless and clueless, - I keep having stupid clipless moments.
have clips and flats on my mtb as there are bits I don't want to be clipped in on.

Top Bottom