Clipless pedals poll.

How many of us ride clipless

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
derrick

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
My other half has just fitted SPDs. she is getting on well with them.^_^

PhunkyPhil

Regular
I use clip less on my road bike and flats on my hybrid.

I hate riding flats as you can't get a decent pedal stroke/speed but I don want to swap shoes for my commute so make do.

cadleigh

I swap my pedals on my road bike according to what I want to do and what shoes and clothes I want to wear - road clipless, MTB clipless or flats; it takes two minutes.

[Edit]: Only just seen the closing date on the poll.
(Makes note to pop in more regularly).

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm going back to flats and trainers! I have tried SPDs, and I'm fed up with foot cramps, sore knees and sore hips. You adjust the set-up to eliminate one of the aforementioned, and it causes one of the others :cursing:. Clearly I don't have the set-up correct, but how the hell do you know when it IS correct? From my experience, it can feel correct for about 50 miles, THEN you find to your cost that it WASN'T correct because you end the ride with painful hips or knees. Cramps in feet are easier to deal with as they set in quite early and a tweak of the cleat usually sorts it. The hip problems on the other hand, have resulted in visits to the physio..

I have taken all sorts of advice with regards to bike set up: saddle position, bar position, as well as cleats. None seem to work, and I have never had any of these problems when riding with flats, so the solution to my problem seems pretty obvious. Incidentally, I have never noticed any difference in my average speed when riding clipless. IMHO clipless = pointless for me (being no more than an average casual rider doing about 3500 miles per year).

Kies

I found my weaker right knee benefits from going clipless. Without cleats my foot tends to rotate out and my knee complains the next day.
Go for a decent pedal and wear some stiff trainers at the very least. Good luck

Licramite

Über Member
I think the main advantage for me is it keeps my foot in the right place, when I get it together I can create that pull push action which does increase speed or certainly helps when I'm spinning up a hill - as for increasing my average speed I don't know if it has.
It does make you use different muscles as it makes you more streached (I think)
I do think they are quite dangerouse in the hands (feet) of a novice as a clipless moment at the wrong time could be fatal.

Top Bottom