Clipless/shoes advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
A600 pedal and Northwave shoes with multi directional release cleats here

The A600 look good as well

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the replies. The two types of shoes I mean (I've just been looking around I know nothing about mtb shoes) are these
http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360065692/shimano-xc60-mtb-shoes-12.jpg?w=1100&h=1100&a=7

versus something like these, which appear to be more rubber soled, easier to walk in.

http://ancillary.edinburghbicycle.c...ra-large/specialized-bg-tahoe-shoe-womens.jpg

I prefer the look of the first type, but I imagine they might be more difficult to clip in and out of than the second type - as in to find the pedal and clip? If anyone has experience of these shoes I'd be grateful. I would like to feel secure when I put my foot down after unclipping, which I imagine the trekking shoes would be better for. I pretty much want the easiest experience possible.

When I was in my LBS before Christmas they were doing the Specialized Tahoe for £40, kicking myself for not buying them.

Oh and vickster did you find you had to go up a size for the Tahoe?

I did to a 44, versus 43 for the Sonoma (and they are a bit big being wide and now have specialized inner soles)...I have big feet (then I am nearly 5'10)

The first ones are more roadie, the cleats are barely recessed and will be slippy - I almost bought some shimano R088, but with no recess I almost went flying on the smooth soles in the shop, they would be lethal with cleats!

http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3390&g=347214&p=347221&c=215&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Road Bike Shoes&gclid=CLKaz5fB3bsCFXHJtAodWQMAkg

Ask your LBS to do a new year deal on the Tahoes :smile:
trans.png

Last edited:

Somewhere

Formerly known as BimblingBee
Hi All

Agree with the general consensus to go down the SPD route. I use the M520 pedals on all my mountain bikes as they are great value for money and work in the same way as the higher end Shimano ones except a little bit heavier. A real fit ad forget product.

Not been convinced by the Tahoe shoes though. I've had mine about 18 months and they've already started to fall apart the seams and they are not my only shoe. They also take forever and a day to dry out, and just are not stiff enough for long rides (if you've got bigger feet). I'd probably go for the other type of style of shoe you've linked. No issues with walking with them as the cleat is still recessed.

vickster

Legendary Member
Interesting, but when I walk in cycling shoes it can be a fair distance (usually around the shops) :whistle:

This wouldn't cut it for me "...but they're also comfortable and stable enough for the odd spot of walking"

(I am not keen on plastic shoes either, personal preference, I didn't much like the look and feel of the R088s once on)

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
M520s plus shimano spd shoes that look (almost) like a regular pair of shoes here. For commuting/random trips they are unbeatable. I've done 80+ miles in them with no problems.

Have a pair of A600s, but never use them. They are awful. All the disadvantages of road pedals with few of the advantages. And I find them very uncomfortable.

I use keos on the road bike.

Albert

Über Member
I have owned and liked both Lake and Specialized shoes, Lake, in particular, are well made and durable. I use SPDs and buy MTB Shoes, which are easier to walk in - handy when pushing up those 1 in 4s.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I use Shimano M520 pedals and NorthWave Mission SPD shoes with my road bike. With those pedals, you clip in on both sides. I commute through heavy city traffic daily, and it isn't a problem having to make frequent stops. The shoes are incredibly comfortable and I wear them pretty much all the time, on the bike or off. Unlike trainers, they don't smell either. Amazing!

stu9000

Regarding pedals... I went for the m530 entry level as they had a tiny bit more surface area. This allowed me to cycle to the take away without donning cycling shoes. I'd get your pedals back. They look fine.

I'll look up my cheap ish spuik shoes as they have been going a year now and I'm very happy with them. They are the roadie design rather than the rubber sole trainer style. I don't have any problems wandering around sainsburys etc.

I think you are onthe rightt track with the mtb setup this was my first clipless set up and I am very comfy .

OP
OP
lesley_x

lesley_x

Über Member
Hey guys thanks for all your help. I did the sensible thing and went to try on some shoes. So glad I did. I tried on the Tahoe and while it was reasonably comfortable, it felt kinda heavy, kinda cumbersome. I would have been happy with them but then I tried on these

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/louis-garneau/womens-terra-mtb-shoe-ec034781

And they absolutely fit like a glove, so comfy and surprisingly easy and stable to walk in. Really, really pleased. Gonna get the M424s back, put them on the road bike on the turbo until it's road bike weather (using my cross atm) and hopefully by spring I'll be ready to go. Hopefully! Wish me luck :P

stu9000

Hey guys thanks for all your help. I did the sensible thing and went to try on some shoes. So glad I did. I tried on the Tahoe and while it was reasonably comfortable, it felt kinda heavy, kinda cumbersome. I would have been happy with them but then I tried on these

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/louis-garneau/womens-terra-mtb-shoe-ec034781

And they absolutely fit like a glove, so comfy and surprisingly easy and stable to walk in. Really, really pleased. Gonna get the M424s back, put them on the road bike on the turbo until it's road bike weather (using my cross atm) and hopefully by spring I'll be ready to go. Hopefully! Wish me luck :P

Those shoes look about right to me. Mine were spiuk zs11 non carbon version. Seem the same sort if thing to your choice. They cost about the same and are still going strong. I have recently got some neoprene overshoes though as the vents turn the toes to ice at this time of year.

OP
OP
lesley_x

lesley_x

Über Member
Why not put them on the CX? Only £16 for the M520 at Evans at the mo, you'll get most back if you sell on again

I kinda wanted to make sure I took it up before I bought more pedals but that is pretty damn cheap. I'm finding clipping in and out super easy on the turbo (which is more than I could say for road pedals!!) and it feels pretty comfortable, it's just going to be a matter of developing the muscle memory when stopping. My problem is being coordinated and leaning the right way when I stop! That's what happened the last time, unclipped and leaned the wrong way!

I find the routes I do on the cross bike a little more challenging so wanted to master the road bike first. I might get some m520s and keep them, I guess they would be better than the m424s cause it can get pretty mucky on the cross bike :-/

I know I seem fussy but I do not want an injury like last time. I just rushed into it last time and didn't research anything or take time to learn and got totally burned.

Top Bottom