Clipless - still got numb feet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
I've had similar problems.
I then bought some new shoes, the problem dissipated somewhat.
I have now got a third pair of shoes and have come to the following conclusions:

The cleats need to be towards the back, so under the back of the ball of the foot rather than the middle or front of the ball of the foot.
Socks need to be slightly thick (not walking socks, but defiantly something with a bit of pile)
The shoes need to be trainer touring type shoes, not the carbon roadie clip in things with the rachets
Depending on the shoe I'm normally a 9 or 9.5, I deliberately got them as a size 10
Don't do up the laces too tight, especially at the front.

With my roadie tight shoes I can do about 20 miles before agony creeps in.
In my touring trainer type shoes I can do 127 miles in a day and be almost pain free on the feet (other bits may be in agony, but that is not the fault of the bike!)

So my roadie shoes have now become my commuter shoes and my Touring trainer style shoes are for anything over 10 miles

I have the same problem, got better when i got some wider pedals. Still get numb fore foot and a couple of toes just resigned to it now and every few miles unclip and have a wiggle.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Go non clipped in. Your feet will naturally micro adjust to ensure a pain free ride. Understand this is anathema to most roadies but worth a try.

Reactions: mjr

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Just a thought, try removing the inserts. I have orthotics, prescribed by an orthotist, but I was finding on longer rides they were leading to discomfort, so I've gone back to standard insoles, and it's better.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Anybody who has converted to clip-in pedals knows the advantage they give you in delivering a smooth power stroke and keeping you connected with the bike, especially in moments of extreme effort.
:rofl: Pull the other one - it's got bells on! Actually, you might as well try putting bells on because it's about as likely to help with foot pain as fidding with clips and cleats an at least it would be musical.

If faffing with clips for leisure rides is serious cycling then I'm glad I got frivolous as I grew older ;) You know those pics of people kicking their legs out as they freewheel down hill? We do that because it's fun! You're missing out....

Globalti

Legendary Member
Er.... I ride clipped in but I still stick my legs out and go "wheeeeee" riding though floods and big puddles! Same as I sometimes sit up, ride no-handed and flap my arms in the hope of taking off.

They won't go back any further, must be due to the dimensions of men's feet maybe?
No, this will be down to the manufacturer. Spesh don't allow much scope for this. Shimano are better. Somewhere I've seen a list of shoe manufacturers that allow cleats to be mounted at least slightly behind the ball of the foot (which is what a good bike fitter would advise anyway). I'll try and find it for you, though it's a few years out of date I'm sure.

I have a wide flat forefront and find its the rigidity of the footbeds of cycling shoes that cause my foot numbness.
Try riding without cleats and wear shoes with a bit of give in the soles for a while to see if you have the same problem.
I have been using a pair of cheap Karrimore shoes (flat soles, not ones with soles like tractor tyres) from T K Max for a while now and have not had the painful numbness of before. I'm not out to win any races but don't notice any difference in performance, only no pain. Bliss.

Top Bottom