Clipless - still got numb feet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doobiesis

Über Member
i have had my road bike for a few years now and I'm still experiencing numb feet. Please see below to what I've tried.

Changed shoes - I now have Specialized men's shoes as gave my wide feet a bit of room. They are the Elite Road shoes. They're not too tight, or lose.

Bike fit - had bike fitted totally also had an insert put in shoes as my arches were high.

Cleats - am totally on the ball of foot me and other half did this when I got new shoes via an online guide

saddle - in right position and height

I'm thinking I'm never going to find a solution to this problem, and it's hindering my progress as I'm achieving 16mph avg speed for first 10 miles, but then it starts getting annoying and I lose concentration. I end up only achieving 14-15 and I find this very frustrating

Has anybody got any further advice? And would I still achieve the speed of I went back to clips?

Dawn

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Move the cleats back to behind the ball of your foot.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
So somehow the claret isn't reaching the extremities that well. It sounds like you've tried everything, but I suspect it may be the saddle contact point.
The expensive answer is to possibly try a new saddle.
The cheap answer? Get out of the saddle when you can, stretch, wriggle around a bit, wriggle your toes hard. Sit back down. Blood flow is restored. I get this problem just like many cyclists do, and this helps me hugely.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Are you wearing thin socks and over-tightening your shoes? This always gives me numbness and tingling in my feet. I think most cycling socks are made thin for warm weather cycling. Nowadays I've even taken to sneakily wearing trainer socks inside my thinner cycling socks to give more bulk. The best socks I have are some thick loop-stitch Specialized socks, which really fill the gap between foot and shoe and mean I don't need to over-tighten my shoes, cutting off the blood supply.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
Are you wearing thin socks and over-tightening your shoes? This always gives me numbness and tingling in my feet. I think most cycling socks are made thin for warm weather cycling. Nowadays I've even taken to sneakily wearing trainer socks inside my thinner cycling socks to give more bulk. The best socks I have are some thick loop-stitch Specialized socks, which really fill the gap between foot and shoe and mean I don't need to over-tighten my shoes, cutting off the blood supply.

I am wearing thin socks, and possibly over tightening! Will try them socks, see if it works :smile:

Jody

Stubborn git
Are you wearing thin socks and over-tightening your shoes? .

I get exactly this problem with the above. My shoes don't feel overly tight but let the strap out by one click and my feet are fine.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
I get exactly this problem with the above. My shoes don't feel overly tight but let the strap out by one click and my feet are fine.

I end up towards end of ride literally loosening them off as my feet are so painful, but obviously never helps as they're then too lose.

Goggs

Guru
So somehow the claret isn't reaching the extremities that well. It sounds like you've tried everything, but I suspect it may be the saddle contact point.
The expensive answer is to possibly try a new saddle.
The cheap answer? Get out of the saddle when you can, stretch, wriggle around a bit, wriggle your toes hard. Sit back down. Blood flow is restored. I get this problem just like many cyclists do, and this helps me hugely.

Numbness isn't always lack of blood supply though. It can be due to pressure on a nerve, sometimes quite a long way from where the numbness is apparent.

I get this a bit in my right foot. My shoes & socks are fine & I'm also thinking it's originating somewhere far from my feet.

S-Express

I end up towards end of ride literally loosening them off as my feet are so painful, but obviously never helps as they're then too lose.
Nine times out of ten, numb feet is down to tight shoes. If you are not loosening them until they begin to hurt, then it is too late anyway. Start with the shoes loosely secured, and then tighten them as you get into your ride. Your feet generally expand when they are inside shoes anyway, so if your shoes are already tight to start with, this will not help.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
I have ordered a new saddle, which is something I've been meaning to do for ages, and I'll have my shoes loser from start and put thicker socks on. I'll let you all know if it's a success tomorrow :smile:

S-Express

Hold off on the thicker socks - my suggestion would be to just try loosening the shoes with your regular socks first. If you try loosening the shoes and wearing thicker socks at the same time, you won't know which particular trick has had the most effect.

Top Bottom