Clipped by close passing driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Yup... overtaking into the path of oncoming traffic... "I'll just squeeze past" thinks the utter numbnuts motorist. Hope you didn't get hurt. Where is that ?

What's the point of the rest of the video ? did you spot the car parked up ?

Sim2003

You held that so well @Monkreadusuk . lucky/skillz

I went out yesterday with my lil group for a social ride and one came inches from a truck thanks to the guy wanting to sqeeze past us with oncoming traffic. I think this video does show why some cyclists insist on pavements as being the safer option if used wisely not a single ped on that whole stretch.

OP
OP
M

Monkreadusuk

Über Member
The camera might have distorted it but you look further left than I would be on such a narrow lane. Doesn't excuse it, though. Glad you're OK.

It's actually quite a wide lane, compared to a lot of the ones I ride on. However if I were to ride primary there I'd get so much abuse it'd not be worth it.

OP
OP
M

Monkreadusuk

Über Member
You held that so well @Monkreadusuk . lucky/skillz

I went out yesterday with my lil group for a social ride and one came inches from a truck thanks to the guy wanting to sqeeze past us with oncoming traffic. I think this video does show why some cyclists insist on pavements as being the safer option if used wisely not a single ped on that whole stretch.
When I'm going that way with my daughter in the trailer I use the pavement, just not worth the risk.

midlife

Guru
Slighty off topic and just curious but are you 8 feet tall or do you have your camera perched on top of your helmet, my eye view of the road looks way lower...

Shaun

OP
OP
M

Monkreadusuk

Über Member
[QUOTE 3930755, member: 9609"]I was just trying to put some speeds onto that vid, I'm assuming that was a 30mph road turning into a 40 at the bus stop? If so the white lines should be at 6 metre cntres and would give you a speed of 11.6mph (does that sound correct ?) this would give the first car a speed of 38.7 mph (clearly speeding) and the second car, the one that clipped you I make that at 35.5mph, not speeding but certainly a stupid speed to pass a cyclist at such close quarters.[/QUOTE]

Yeah 30 going into 40. The driver has since apologised and said that she looked in her mirror and saw me still upright so assumed I was ok. She thought she had hit my panniers not my arm.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The driver has since apologised and said that she looked in her mirror and saw me still upright so assumed I was ok. She thought she had hit my panniers not my arm.

What a shitty attitude! Anyone with an ounce of decency or sense of responsibility would have stopped immediately to make sure you were okay.
She's only apologising now because she was caught. Daffodil.

GC

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's actually quite a wide lane, compared to a lot of the ones I ride on. However if I were to ride primary there I'd get so much abuse it'd not be worth it.
When I'm going that way with my daughter in the trailer I use the pavement, just not worth the risk.
It's not worth putting yourself at risk either. Take the lane, put up with the abuse, record the feckers, publish it and point the police, councillors and press at it.... but I can't blame you if don't want to deal with such stuff, although I'd hope that everyone would be very happy if that route was improved for cycling. Including good motorists because they're no longer going to be getting abuse from bad motorists if they refuse to overtake you dangerously.

OP
OP
M

Monkreadusuk

Über Member
It's not worth putting yourself at risk either. Take the lane, put up with the abuse, record the feckers, publish it and point the police, councillors and press at it.... but I can't blame you if don't want to deal with such stuff, although I'd hope that everyone would be very happy if that route was improved for cycling. Including good motorists because they're no longer going to be getting abuse from bad motorists if they refuse to overtake you dangerously.
Unfortunately my police force would just dismiss ant incidents as my fault for not cycling in the gutter. Have had many an incident where I've taken the lane, been hit or almost hit and the police have shifted the blame onto me.

I do still take the lane when needed, however sometimes I'm closer to the kerb than I'd like to appease motorists.

Top Bottom