Close call for mother and child

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Luke Redpath

Driver was a dick for not stopping and approaching the crossing too fast but I don't understand why you would just walk out in the road without looking first! Just because there is a zebra crossing doesn't mean it's safe to cross.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
In fairness to the driver I think she appears out of a hidden path as I don't think she is visible at the beginning. But legally drivers don't have to stop until you set foot on the crossing so I usually step onto a crossing and then pause, to see if the driver is going to stop, and I had one this week who wouldn't have stopped otherwise. Bit more risky though when the first thing that goes out in the road is a buggy.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Make sure you eyeball the driver and be sure they are stopping before you cross.
And pause (in front of the first driver), whilst crossing if you need to make sure the other side stops too! I've had plenty stop on one side and not the other side even when I had my children with me when they were small.

As a cyclist sometimes the pedestrian waves you to carry on and not stop, but I usually look to see what other traffic is around, as subliminally a car driver can see you not stopping and carries on with out looking, so if there are cars I'm likely to stop even if the pedestrian is gesticulating at me to go. And as a pedestrian ill wave the cyclist on if I'm the only one crossing and it's safe to do so.

sidevalve

Über Member
Can't really tell how fast the car was approaching the crossing - that's one of the problems of cameras. Then the mother seems to hesitate for moment then just plough on across and doesn't seem to be shocked or surprised in any way - she at least doesn't appear to think she [or her child] were in danger. As for calling the driver a dick, well maybe but as I've said before accidents usually take two to make them happen and if your child's life aint worth waiting a second or two then what does that make the mother ?
BTW - NEVER trust pedestrians waving you on, they have no right to do so and any accident thus caused will be placed slap bang at YOUR door. Only the police and certain members of the emergency services can give genuine indications.

L14M

Über Member
Imo the driver is a nob for not stopping, but the pedestrian is quite silly for pushing her kid right into the path of danger, regardless of zebra crossing or not that attitude could cause serious injury. I'd also hate to see her teach her kid the green cross code.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Nice how everyone is blaming the pedestrian when the driver was completely in the wrong.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The woman could have done her part to use the crossing more safely.

Highway Code, rules for pedestrians:

At all crossings. When using any type of crossing you should

• always check that the traffic has stopped before you start to cross or push a pram onto a crossing
  • always cross between the studs or over the zebra markings. Do not cross at the side of the crossing or on the zig-zag lines, as it can be dangerous.

Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing.​

GC

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
It's hard to tell from the video if the driver was going a responsible speed or not, so I'm not sure the driver did anything more than he/she could have done. They could have also been going too fast as well..... again, who knows from the video.

However -and this isn't victim blaming -personally I wouldn't be pushing my child out without making sure that car had stopped. I'm always telling my kids that when they cross the road with a "walk" signal (here in the States) that doesn't negate the need to keep looking before and while they cross. A certain colour traffic light or a Zebra crossing isn't a magical force field that will stop a vehicle.

moo

The motorist was overtaking a cyclist so visibility was slightly obscured. The pedestrian then exits this blind spot and atempts to cross the road without first stopping. I hate pedestrians that do this, whichever mode of transport is used. Even if the driver had seen her in time, she may have decided to go straight on. You're not going to stop for someone at a crossing until they've made it clear they want to cross.

Edit: Thought I saw an alley but wasn't one.

Sara_H

Guru
I was on the bike a couple of weeks ago when a push chair appeared in my path from behind a parked transit van. I only ride slow so avoiding the bubba was no problem.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I really don't get some of the responses - clear road, pedestrian clearly visible at crossing, car driver zooms through .
Utterly crap observing by driver, unless (worse) it was "don't care, get out of my way"

Hip Priest

Veteran
The motorist was overtaking a cyclist so visibility was slightly obscured. The pedestrian then exits this blind spot and atempts to cross the road without first stopping. I hate pedestrians that do this, whichever mode of transport is used. Even if the driver had seen her in time, she may have decided to go straight on. You're not going to stop for someone at a crossing until they've made it clear they want to cross.

I've been driving for 15 years and have cycled 12000 miles in the last three years and I've never failed to stop for someone at a zebra crossing. The onus is on the driver to be observant. If you see someone approaching a crossing, prepare to stop.

I shudder at the thought that driving has become such a passive activity that people drive along almost half-asleep and cyclists defend them for it!

Top Bottom