Close calls: confess, or keep it to yourself?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
...sounds like the incident may just have been down to poor road positioning? If you were riding to the left of the lane and stuck your arm out into passing traffic to signal right, expecting any passing motorists to stop and allow you to cross the lane and turn, then you are either very inexperienced or very naïve (and extremely lucky to still have two arms).

If however, you had prepared for the approaching right turn by checking behind to find a suitable gap in the following traffic, then signalling and moving to the right of the lane in good time to prevent the following traffic from passing as you got to the junction and yet the speeding motorist crossed to the wrong side of the road to pass you regardless of your position, signals and clear intent, then the motorist is a dangerous nobber!

The latter, but in any case this wasn't meant as a consultation on my cycling nous, but rather a light-hearted questionnaire about relationships.

My "Close calls"
1) Me going up a steep hill and deciding to stop in a layby but unable to unclip in time. Ouch. My fault.

Ha! I did something similar to this once. The only thing hurt was pride, etc. Being undone by toeclips is about the stupidest feeling ever.

Last edited:

fimm

Veteran
Boyfriend cycles too, so we share the rants as we feel the need.

(I wouldn't rant in the presence of my mother, who thinks that yellow outfits and plastic hats on a cyclist turns all drivers into angels of perfection...)

GravityFighter

Über Member
Interesting question.

My OH has cycled on the road for years and I have begun cycling with her over the last 18 months. I'd like to think we're both experienced and considerate drivers, so thus far neither of us has really had any incidents with other vehicles. We'll take the road when we need to and allow other traffic to pass when it's safe.

The couple of hairy moments I haven't yet mentioned to her have been when I've been descending at 35 - 40mph and (lack of) experience has come into play - me trying to take a corner too narrowly / applying too much brake and almost having a very intimate discussion with the tarmac. Probably felt a lot 'closer' than they actually were looking back though.

I'm mind to agreed with the above "could have happened...but didn't" = irrelevant really.

The day either of us stops the other trying to do what they love is the day we should both give up hope.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Just realised the original wording of my OP ("What about you? Do you keep these little events to yourself, or do you play it smart?") was the opposite of what I meant to say tongue-in-cheek. Have fixed this.

Agree close calls are mostly irrelevant, but am still interested in what people decide to share, relevant or otherwise. Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Keeping it to yourself is the grown up, considerate and responsible thing to do. Which is why I always blab about every close call to my nearest & dearest and anyone else who will give me the time of day. With dramatic details and exciting and realistic reconstructions wherever possible. Outrageous exaggeration comes as standard.

Sauce pot

Regular
My other half rang me to say he had a close call!! He had only hit a Mercedes car gone over his handlebars and lost his Garmin!! His words on the phone were I've hit a car but my bike my bike!! And can I come and get him as he needed to get his bike repaired as soon as possible so he could do the Sportive that weekend. I told him to ring the police and paramedics as no one had thought to do this!! He was Bradley bruised shaken up and cut but no broken bones. But all I got was my bike what am I going to do?
Anyway I told him it was his fault as he was going so fast. But he did complete his sportive so it ended happily

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Keeping it to yourself is the grown up, considerate and responsible thing to do. Which is why I always blab about every close call to my nearest & dearest and anyone else who will give me the time of day. With dramatic details and exciting and realistic reconstructions wherever possible. Outrageous exaggeration comes as standard.

That's quite a good strategy - especially the "outrageous exaggeration" bit. Pretty soon it'll all be "blah, blah" and your loved one will stop worrying. My keeping schtum then accidentally mentioning it later was a dodgy tactic.

I mention the one's that result in an injury to my legal team.

There lies the rub! If a person is being repeatedly knocked of a bike or having frequent near misses then maybe we should question their road sense. But on the other hand, should we have to have the reactions and awareness of Neo to avoid being mown down by a maniacal moton?
My last smidsy was a corker. I was aproaching the roundabout outside Havant, that leads off to town centre, Leigh park, or Porchester. There was a gap to my right, and the guy in the far lane to my left had given way. Some fecking cretin in the nearer to me lane to my left just sailed out in front of me ( I spotted the idiot and yammed on the anchors). His excuse? "Sorry mate I was miles away". The guy who had stopped went into full on cringe over the steering wheel mode. I honestly despair, these feckless idiots are everywhere:gun:.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Is there any benefit to anyone in fessing up to a close call? Other that the feeling the need to share everything. If you fess up your partner will worry more. This will either have no effect on you going cycling (so partner will worry) or it will reduce the amount you cycle (so you will feel less happy). Either way, one of you feels less happy.

The only time I've fessed up is when I've come off and ripped the clothing and got a couple of cuts and bruises. She'd spot that in an instant so much better to mention it first. Otherwise, I keep quiet. That and when I've had a clipless moment and she looked like she needed a laugh

Is there any benefit to anyone in fessing up to a close call? Other that the feeling the need to share everything. If you fess up your partner will worry more. This will either have no effect on you going cycling (so partner will worry) or it will reduce the amount you cycle (so you will feel less happy). Either way, one of you feels less happy.

The only time I've fessed up is when I've come off and ripped the clothing and got a couple of cuts and bruises. She'd spot that in an instant so much better to mention it first. Otherwise, I keep quiet. That and when I've had a clipless moment and she looked like she needed a laugh
It helps to reduce the temperature of your urine.

contadino

Veteran
A lorry came within an inch of taking out my front wheel this week. I didn't mention it to the wife, not because she'd worry about the wheel (she probably wouldn't) but in case she worried about me. Cos she's odd like that.

Top Bottom