Close overtakes seem to be increasing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FrothNinja

Veteran
'Build it and they will come' - put in decent cycle facilities and people will use them. It's been shown time and time again that there is a will to find a more sustainable way to travel if only the facilities were in place to enable it. The chancellor got it wrong in not doing more to encourage active travel and public transport use. Petrol is far too cheap, traffic is often hostile. We need to make life more difficult for drivers, which will make life better on the roads for everybody.
UK fuel prices are not too cheap, in fact they are artificially high. The price of public transport, however, is too high to encourage use. If it were cheaper it would be used more often by those without cars and therefore there would be more viable routes and more incentive to use public transport.

Reactions: C R

Biker man

Your words "Driving my car at 30mph through a village with the 3mph limit"
🤠

sasquath

UK fuel prices are not too cheap, in fact they are artificially high. The price of public transport, however, is too high to encourage use. If it were cheaper it would be used more often by those without cars and therefore there would be more viable routes and more incentive to use public transport.
Hit the nail here, I have 6 miles commute,
10-15 minutes drive, £0.15 in electricity or ~£1.40 in petrol a day.
or
45-60 minutes in 3 buses, £8 a day.
Or
25 minutes cycle.

No way I'll ever use buses.

rivers

How far can I go?
Pretty much. If I drive to work, unless I leave stupidly early, it takes around 45-60 minutes, maybe more if there is an accident on one of the major routes between Bristol and Bath. Cost- £2 plus parking
The bus- 3 buses. One into the centre of Bristol, then the X39 out to Bath, and if I'm lucky, I don't have a horrendous wait for the bus to campus and I can actually get on, or I'm walking up the hill which takes about 20 minutes. Cost- £4.60, but only because I work in a university and am eligible to buy student price tickets. Time- 70-120+ minutes depending on various factors.
Bike- 45-70 minutes depending on legs and bike/route choice. 9.5-17 miles in length.

boydj

Legendary Member

Fuel prices, even with recent price rises are as cheap, relatively, as they were before the 70s oil price crisis and we see why people think nothing of jumping in the car, often multiple times in a day for relatively short journeys. Add to that, cars are bigger, heavier, and less fuel efficient than they were even a few years ago.

Bus and rail fares are far too expensive - a result of privatisation and the hundreds of millions taken out of the system in payments to shareholders who have made huge profits out of what were once public assets sold at knock-down prices.

If we want to discourage driving, we need the cost of fuel to increase significantly, as well as finding other ways of making driving less attractive. Certainly making public transport cheaper and more accessible would be a big help. Personally I'd be all in favour of renationalising the railways and for local authorities to take over the running of the buses again (Edinburgh is one of a few places still with a successful council-owned bus service).

FrothNinja

Veteran
If fuel prices increase the cost of everything that is transported even partly by road, which is most consumer items & us on public road transport, increases incrementally to cover the additional cost. That's an increased cost of living across the board, with those least able to afford it being hardest hit.
It's a complex issue and there is no one shot vaccine to cure it.

si_c

Guru
If fuel prices increase the cost of everything that is transported even partly by road, which is most consumer items & us on public road transport, increases incrementally to cover the additional cost. That's an increased cost of living across the board, with those least able to afford it being hardest hit.
It's a complex issue and there is no one shot vaccine to cure it.
The solution to that is the same as it is with agriculture, how often do you see an 18 wheeler refuel at a local petrol station.

That being said raising the cost of driving does hurt the least able to afford it hardest. An investment banker in his Audi 4x4 should pay more than someone who needs to travel around a city to their minimum wage cleaning job. Raising fuel prices hurts the wrong person.

What's needed is infrastructure investment to encourage people who can change their mode of transportation to do so, induce demand in the right place.

Top Bottom