Close overtakes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
No, not cars but roadies. We moan about cars and lorries passing closely but it seems to be a favourite sport of roadies around here to see how close they can pass without actually colliding with you. One of these days I am going to have to swerve to avoid a pothole or other obstruction just as a roadie is on my shoulder.

sidevalve

Über Member
The old adage about giving cyclists "wobble room" should apply to other bike too but sadly it doesn't seem to apply to some who assume that they are on a track and thus on a perfect surface or in a major race and can't afford the couple of seconds it would take to move out a bit. Being a slow old g*t I've had this myself once or twice. Just seems like stupid riding to me.

This cuts both ways of course, the amount of times I have given a cyclist out for a leisurely ride room to wobble only for them to move straight in front of me without looking, signalling or anything and then acting surprised when suddenly im there in their space i have lost count of.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
This cuts both ways of course, the amount of times I have given a cyclist out for a leisurely ride room to wobble only for them to move straight in front of me without looking, signalling or anything and then acting surprised when suddenly im there in their space i have lost count of.

I take your point, but lots of car drivers use the same argument.

I take your point, but lots of car drivers use the same argument.
They do and in some cases they would be right but I dont think you can compare a roadie going by you on a skinny racing bike to say a BMW tanking it past you at close range. For starters the obstacles you face are the same obstacles the roadie faces, potholes etc things the BMW driver wouldnt care about or even know about.

mickeydrippin60

Veteran
after riding in a few group rides lots of cyclist's don't have a clue about spatial awareness. it seems to me that alot of those people are the ones with cameras on there heads and that complain about cars the most

Hopefully I give folk no matter what mode they/I'm on plenty of space, you just never know if they are the sort who will wobble. I wasn't very happy on the way home today when a biker gang overtook me closely, FFS if I'd wobble I'd took them down too; they may be more padded but they are not invulnerable, plonkers :sad:

Top Bottom