Close pass, cycling style

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I know the road he's on, just can't place it. The shop is whats bugging me, locationwise.
Slight downhill, so quite easy to hit the thirty(mph) mark.

It looks like he's doing more than 30mph to me. Has the vid been speeded up?

Drago

Legendary Member
Not that dangerous? He's all over his side of the carriageway, pays no regard to door zones, overtakes at ridiculous pinch points, takes no account of hazards such as side turnings, and rides in an urban environment that minimises his chance of being able to safely take action if things go a bit bobby. It's hard to say from the footage but I suspect his head never moved more than 5 degrees either side of pointed straight ahead.

I'm sure it's great fun, but he needs to think about the difference between fast riding and fast risk taking if he wants a long and healthy life.

fimm

Veteran
@Drago the cam is obviously on the handlebars....

My boyfriend (long ago, when he was young and foolish) was pulled over by the police for overtaking a truck in a 30kph (i.e. 20mph) zone on his bike. I'm not sure if he got anything more than a good telling off (and obviously this wasn't in the UK so the details of the road traffic law would be different).

fimm

Veteran
Yes, but my point is you know nothing about his head movements as the cam isn't attached to it...
:thumbsup:

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, that's why I stated its hard to say what his head was up to. He's riding like a chump in most other ways so it's not unreasonable to suppose he making the most common safety related error as well.

Drago

Legendary Member
Not in the door zones? In the first video he's right in the zone of the parked corsa he passes close to the end.

In the second he's wobbling all over and he's edging progressively closer to the first row of parked cars, and there little doubt he's right in there on the last in the row.

As he builds up speed and he's hammering the cranks he's all over the place, deviating across a corridor 4 or 5 feet wide in places. When the taxi pulls out and there's the hint of wobble because he either wasn't looking or wasn't thinking and left it almost too late to act. That's not supremacy and confidence - that's lack of situational awareness and control. It's idiocy, and we'd be quick to condemn a car driver moving among cyclists with such wild abandon and disregard. How many times have our brothers and sisters on here complained about a close pass from a car at a pinch point?

Mile195

Veteran
My commute would be lovely if I could go down a stretch of road that long and only have to pass one car.

That said I don't think I've reached a point in my life yet where I want to live in Leeds. No offence intended... I'm sure it's a beautiful city....

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
My commute would be lovely if I could go down a stretch of road that long and only have to pass one car.

That said I don't think I've reached a point in my life yet where I want to live in Leeds. No offence intended... I'm sure it's a beautiful city....
Plenty of roads like that round here.

Top Bottom