Close pass, cycling style

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
The video looks sped up.

I know the area; it's Burley Road coming down from Headingley into Leeds - built up and not the safest area to be doing that.
Cyclist is still going faster than the car he passes, by some margin.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Overtaking that moving car like he did was stupid. If a motorist overtook a cyclist like that, people in this forum would be pretty angry about it. I can't see how this overtake is any different? (except of course that if the bicycle had hit the car, the bicycle and its rider would have suffered the most damage)

Last edited:

jarlrmai

Veteran
The very, very slight difference is if a car over takes a cyclist and hits the cyclist then the cyclist is injured/killed and vice versa the cyclist is killed/injured if the the cyclist is the one doing the close overtake.

One is putting yourself at risk and the other is being put at risk by someone else, in both cases the party at risk is the cyclist and never the driver.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The very, very slight difference is if a car over takes a cyclist and hits the cyclist then the cyclist is injured/killed and vice versa the cyclist is killed/injured if the the cyclist is the one doing the close overtake.

One is putting yourself at risk and the other is being put at risk by someone else, in both cases the party at risk is the cyclist and never the driver.

So I'm driving the car and he does this ridiculous overtake, comes off and I run over him and kill him. I'm traumatised for life through no fault of my own.

Top Bottom