Close pass footage reporting - a query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enlightenedwaistcoat

I went out today and ran a camera. All was well until a person driving a BMW (what else 😏) passed far too close. I'd like to submit to the police (it was Cheshire, if that helps any) - however, just over a minute later I was close passed again by a van pulling in to avoid oncoming traffic that forced me over a drain cover and I might have said something unsavoury (see you next Tuesday may have been uttered). So - I'm reluctant to send to the police if I'm going to end up in trouble for swearing (I'm sure they've got worse things to worry about, but from what I hear on twitter anything is possible).

Do I submit it, or chalk it up to experience and learn to say nothing instead of swearing in fear of my life?

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Why does the clip need sound; to show a close pass if you’re that worried ?

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

It doesn't - or I didn't think it did. But a mate suggested they'd ask for audio. No idea why because the cam has an option to not record with sound.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

No problems with some fruity language in a reaction to the dangerous driving, in my experience.

Do you think there's an issue if I strip the audio from the file? Or is that not recommended. I mean the fruity language was a bit hard to hear with the wind, but obviously I know what I said!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
IME Cheshire police taking action has not been affected by "fruity" language on the recording.
It isn't something I am proud of, but the heat of the moment has caused me to voice a wide range of expletives and on occasions my camera has picked up me giving the driver a V sign. The videos have been submitted uncut to Cheshire police and never have they said action is not being taken because of my reaction to the incident. I take the view that muting the sound on the submission may cause the reviewing officer to wonder if something is amiss with what is being reported.
Edited to add, submit each as a separate incident, but I would submit them at the same time. I had incidents at the end of last year, where within the space of a couple of hundred metres, one car had forced me off the road and another narrowly missed me by unecessarily driving side of the road. PC Rich Nelson, who generally reviews submissions, appreciated they were separate incidents and actions were taken against both drivers.
You might also find 2 mins either side of the incident exceeds the upload capacity and you have to reduce it to 1 min either side. Again, IME this has not been a problem to action being taken against the driver.
2nd edit. You will need two submissions as each incident will have its own witness statement. Combining the two incidents may prevent Court action, should one or both drivers decide to challenge the video evidence.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

IME Cheshire police taking action has not been affected by "fruity" language on the recording.
It isn't something I am proud of, but the heat of the moment has caused me to voice a wide range of expletives and on occasions my camera has picked up me giving the driver a V sign. The videos have been submitted uncut to Cheshire police and never have they said action is not being taken because of my reaction to the incident. I take the view that muting the sound on the submission may cause the reviewing officer to wonder if something is amiss with what is being reported.

Fair enough. Have you had a good experience with Cheshire? I hear GMP are a bit rubbish but that may be down to resourcing.

Seems a shame not to submit given the blokes plate was illegal as well 😒

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Fair enough. Have you had a good experience with Cheshire? I hear GMP are a bit rubbish but that may be down to resourcing.

Seems a shame not to submit given the blokes plate was illegal as well 😒
GMP I don't rate. They don't give feedback and I can't help feeling they don't take action. I keep meaning to contact the Crime Commissioner to see if they have any data about camera recordings and prosecutions.
Cheshire police will take action and they will tell you what they intend to do. If they decide not to take formal action, IME they will tell you why.
As to to the illegal plate, report it too. Again IME Cheshire police will take action with these.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Edited to add, submit each as a separate incident, but I would submit them at the same time. I had incidents at the end of last year, where within the space of a couple of hundred metres, one car had forced me off the road and another narrowly missed me by unecessarily driving side of the road. PC Rich Nelson, who generally reviews submissions, appreciated they were separate incidents and actions were taken against both drivers.
You might also find 2 mins either side of the incident exceeds the upload capacity and you have to reduce it to 1 min either side. Again, IME this has not been a problem to action being taken against the driver.
2nd edit. You will need two submissions as each incident will have its own witness statement. Combining the two incidents may prevent Court action, should one or both drivers decide to challenge the video evidence.

Ah I've just seen this edit re the recording time. So if it says 2mins but that exceeds capacity, then I could just submit 1min either side and it isn't a blocker to possible action being taken?

I have submitted to Chester Police before - you will need to send the original recording through to them if it goes further - Youtube won't work - and I'd not mess with the audio either. Sometimes I haven't had the few minutes before or after due to just starting the camera and it hasn't been an issue.

Top Bottom