Close pass footage reporting - a query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Ah I've just seen this edit re the recording time. So if it says 2mins but that exceeds capacity, then I could just submit 1min either side and it isn't a blocker to possible action being taken?
IME 1 minute either side of the incident isn't a problem. I suspect it depends upon the resolution of the recording.
Make sure you don't overwrite the original recording just in case the driver wants his day in court.
Also follow the witness statement guidance and try not to get emotive in the WS. So reference the speed you were likely to be traveling, distance from the kerb, the size of the vehicle, their relationship to any central lane markers, the relationship of the vehicle to you, whether because of the driver's actions you had no room to avoid other road hazards, etc
You need to act swiftly. Cheshire police ask you to report online. They then send you the witness statement for completion and a link to submit the WS and edited video. The police have 10 days to contact the driver. Outside this time they can't prosecute. And I don't think PC Nelson and his female colleague work at weekends, so 2 days are lost anyway.

Bazzer

Do scottish police also accept footage?
I have never had to report a bad driver in Scotland You would need to do a search. Something like Police Scotland dash cam reporting.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

I have submitted to Chester Police before - you will need to send the original recording through to them if it goes further - Youtube won't work - and I'd not mess with the audio either. Sometimes I haven't had the few minutes before or after due to just starting the camera and it hasn't been an issue.

And the fruity language? I watched it back again and you can definitely hear what I said - but it's hard to compose yourself when you're overtaken closely at speed, they come back in early because there was an oncoming vehicle and you're forced over an uneven drain cover because you've nowhere else to go! It's not as though I was threatening to anyone, nor did anyone hear apart from me!

Joffey

Big Dosser
And the fruity language? I watched it back again and you can definitely hear what I said - but it's hard to compose yourself when you're overtaken closely at speed, they come back in early because there was an oncoming vehicle and you're forced over an uneven drain cover because you've nowhere else to go! It's not as though I was threatening to anyone, nor did anyone hear apart from me!

I wouldn't think the language would be a problem - it is totally unrelated to you being close passed.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

I wouldn't think the language would be a problem - it is totally unrelated to you being close passed.

Wait - I'd say it was related, in that when you're in fear for your life you might say such things reflexively - but perhaps I've misunderstood what you just said (I'm assuming you think me saying a naughty word is not problematic 😅)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fair enough. Have you had a good experience with Cheshire? I hear GMP are a bit rubbish but that may be down to resourcing.

Seems a shame not to submit given the blokes plate was illegal as well 😒

Don't bother if in GMP, bloody hate cyclists. Me and another CC'er got badly injured by car drivers, and the police did nothing, not even a slapped wrist, or driver training. Just said to my wife (whilst I was too out of it on medication) that my insurance would sort it. The officer also implied that because I was a cyclist they'd do nothing (my wife challenged him ). They are shocking !

I only got bothered now if a wing mirror appears under my elbow, then I'll get a bit shouty. I won't use a camera as I feel it spoils the ride (more shoot to turn on and worry about).

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Don't bother if in GMP, bloody hate cyclists. Me and another CC'er got badly injured by car drivers, and the police did nothing, not even a slapped wrist, or driver training. Just said to my wife (whilst I was too out of it on medication) that my insurance would sort it. The officer also implied that because I was a cyclist they'd do nothing (my wife challenged him ). They are shocking !

I only got bothered now if a wing mirror appears under my elbow, then I'll get a bit shouty. I won't use a camera as I feel it spoils the ride (more shoot to turn on and worry about).

Nah I know they are - currently undergoing something similar after being hit by a car driver. It's Cheshire. Tbh it's my first day back at work after some days off and I'm not sure I've got the mental energy to deal with it so might just let it slide.

I doubt they'll be listening for that - as you say - audio is hard to pick out from on bike video.
And shouting out fudging hell isn't a crime as far as I'm aware.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Do you think there's an issue if I strip the audio from the file? Or is that not recommended. I mean the fruity language was a bit hard to hear with the wind, but obviously I know what I said!

Leave it in. It shows how you reacted to the situation. It's not like you raced after the driver to swear to his face?

Sometimes the police don't appreciate the situation unless you react somehow!

fossyant

Nah I know they are - currently undergoing something similar after being hit by a car driver. It's Cheshire. Tbh it's my first day back at work after some days off and I'm not sure I've got the mental energy to deal with it so might just let it slide.

Where in Cheshire was it - I was out yesterday morning, and, on the whole it was fine. The road from Woodford to Prestbury was insanely busy for some reason - was only on it for a mile, but took FIVE minutes to turn right onto it !

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Where in Cheshire was it - I was out yesterday morning, and, on the whole it was fine. The road from Woodford to Prestbury was insanely busy for some reason - was only on it for a mile, but took FIVE minutes to turn right onto it !

Near the Ford garage in Newton, about a mile from the junction where the unicorn pub is at Dean Row. It was generally fine, it just a few idiots. For a b road, it sure was busy.

fossyant

Near the Ford garage in Newton, about a mile from the junction where the unicorn pub is at Dean Row. It was generally fine, it just a few idiots. For a b road, it sure was busy.

I was on that exact section yesterday. I was waiting for five minutes to turn right from Mill Lane onto Wilmslow Road. It was stupid busy. I then turned off for Adlington Hall - the road there is now open to traffic, but I saw maybe one car on it. It's not my favourite bit of road as it get's a lot of traffic and is narrow. It may change when the link road is open.

Bazzer

Don't let it slide. Drivers like this need bringing to the attention of the police, whether in respect of cyclists, horse riders or pedestrians.
The initial reporting takes 5 mins or so. Once you are provided with the link, may be 20 mins in total for doing your WS and editing the footage. You can do the prep beforehand, which cuts back the time actually doing the submission.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Yeah! That's what I meant - foul language is understandable! I was meaning your language doesn't cause you to be close passed so it shouldn't matter if you swore after.

Haha thought so but figured I'd check!

Don't let it slide. Drivers like this need bringing to the attention of the police, whether in respect of cyclists, horse riders or pedestrians.
The initial reporting takes 5 mins or so. Once you are provided with the link, may be 20 mins in total for doing your WS and editing the footage. You can do the prep beforehand, which cuts back the time actually doing the submission.

I know, it's just sort of unknown territory as I have never had the luxury of having footage before! It just feels a bit silly - I've watched it back a few times and just thought 'am I being dramatic?' and then think the police would think I am indeed being dramatic from all the poor feedback people get (I spend too much time on twitter winding myself up about such things). Then the fact that a few on twitter have been slapped in the wrist for swearing and being told they could be done for a public order offence puts me off doing it.

Top Bottom