Close pass prosecutions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Northumbria Police has released encouraging - in one sense - figures for head/dashcam close pass prosecutions.

In March, they received 147 submissions and prosecuted 124 of them.

A much higher proportion than I would have expected, and I suppose it shows they are getting relatively few 'non-event' videos of the type we sometimes see on here.

On t'other hand, it is disappointing there are so many offences in a month in one police force area.

Given that not every offence is recorded, let alone reported, the true number will be much higher.

View: https://twitter.com/NPRoadSafety/status/1391805406788345857?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
They'd put out a request for footage hadn't they?
So that probably encouraged more people to report than normally would. And presumably the police were putting as much resource as they could into checking/prosecuting.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
They'd put out a request for footage hadn't they?
So that probably encouraged more people to report than normally would. And presumably the police were putting as much resource as they could into checking/prosecuting.

Oh dear, I was rather hoping the reporting process was now a permanent service.

I'm hopeless at twitter, but it wasn't at all clear to me how you would upload a video, so perhaps the link was only up for the duration of the operation.

As you say, if police target a particular crime they can nick lots of people for it.

I've seen that in the past with the likes of burglary and drugs.

Trouble is when the spotlight shifts elsewhere the rate of offending soon recovers.

Hopefully the publicity will give some impatient drivers pause for thought, if only for a few months.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
It might be permanent, I don't know. I saw something a while back where they were asking for the footage. Largely ignored it as it takes my all my time to take a phone with me, never mind setting up a camera!

And I don't do twitter either :laugh:

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It might be permanent, I don't know. I saw something a while back where they were asking for the footage. Largely ignored it as it takes my all my time to take a phone with me, never mind setting up a camera!

And I don't do twitter either :laugh:

Same here.

If I somehow came into possession of a close pass video I would still send it to Road Policing, or whatever they call traffic these days.

I would encourage anyone to do the same, even if their local force doesn't have a dedicated upload site.

nealmo

Ive reported numerous bits of bad driving to Northumbria over course of the last year and half via their dashcam reporting system and have to say the responses and feedback are excellent including some advice on how to deal with non-uk registered vehicles. Had three in the last 2 weeks go through the system and end up in their fixed penalty system ( Van in a single lane bus cycle lane, a close overtake by a service bus and a car forcing a car out the way over a double solid white line to get past.

Durham are working on a system after some considerable pressure so hopefully they will get into the modern world soon.

Scaleyback

Veteran
North Yorkshires 'Op Spartan' encourages vulnerable road users Cyclists/Pedestrians to submit video footage of incidents.
Due to numerous 'scary' incidents while cycling I now have front and rear cameras on my bike !
My cameras are mounted on my bike and therefore most likely not noticed. I do believe 'helmet mounted cameras' are probably the way to go.
Car drivers will most likely notice these ( let's face it who wouldn't ) and (imo) most likely 'control' themselves better.
I submitted this Close pass incident I was turning right, had my arm out indicating, moved towards centre of the road, double white lines, when this driver overtook me. I had to pursue the police to find the result but they confirmed the driver had been prosecuted.
Fined plus a mandatory driving course.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Northumbria Police has released encouraging - in one sense - figures for head/dashcam close pass prosecutions.

In March, they received 147 submissions and prosecuted 124 of them.

A much higher proportion than I would have expected, and I suppose it shows they are getting relatively few 'non-event' videos of the type we sometimes see on here.

On t'other hand, it is disappointing there are so many offences in a month in one police force area.

Given that not every offence is recorded, let alone reported, the true number will be much higher.

View: https://twitter.com/NPRoadSafety/status/1391805406788345857?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

I live in the Northumbria Police area.

I was not aware they were having a "special event".

I have posted about six videos of close passes on their website, in the past two years. Each one has been acknowledged via Email, and, has had a follow up Email to say they intend to follow up via a fixed penalty notice.

I would much prefer NOT to have the close passes of course ;)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
North Yorkshires 'Op Spartan' encourages vulnerable road users Cyclists/Pedestrians to submit video footage of incidents.
Due to numerous 'scary' incidents while cycling I now have front and rear cameras on my bike !
My cameras are mounted on my bike and therefore most likely not noticed. I do believe 'helmet mounted cameras' are probably the way to go.
Car drivers will most likely notice these ( let's face it who wouldn't ) and (imo) most likely 'control' themselves better.
I submitted this Close pass incident I was turning right, had my arm out indicating, moved towards centre of the road, double white lines, when this driver overtook me. I had to pursue the police to find the result but they confirmed the driver had been prosecuted.
Fined plus a mandatory driving course.

not only overtook you, but, crossed the double white lines, and, approaching a junction !

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I submitted another one last night from yesterday's ride home from work. At 1024 this morning I was told that it had been processed with a positive outcome of a warning, NIP or prosecution. Judging by the quarterly statistics of how many NIP and prosecutions they squeeze out of the reports made, I'd lay a fiver on the driver getting a NIP. It's good that so many police forces are making it easier to tackle dangerous drivers before they kill. Police in Scotland need to up their game apparently.

Top Bottom