Close roads for kids says cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm all for it. Bikes were on the roads before cars, and will be on the road when cars are gone.

The cars are the dinosaurs of the Antrhropecene, and their extinction will be equally abrupt when the time comes. That being the case, we should be doing so now while we have control of the process and the transition can be considered and orderly, not waiting u til the collapse is sudden and brings financial and societal chaos.
Alarmist... BUT accurate. Likely this side of the century. Maybe even within a decade or two. Drago, have you read Lean Logic by any chance? You might enjoy.

I think it's a great initiative, particularly for those who live in rat runs. We live in a nice culdesac, whilst I wouldn't let my kids out unsupervised like my parents did with me, it's damn near safe enough, because there's no through traffic. Sadly though, we do get the odd reckless courier/take away drivers. I too wince when I see kids out on their own, but I really don't want to be a helicopter parent. I'm going to be rather conflicted when my little girl is old enough to cycle out alone.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Jot read Lean Logic but I shall seek it out on your recommendation Sir.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Takes me back to my childhood in the sixties and early seventies. Growing up in a village when there was very little traffic in our street. You could play footie or tennis on the road for at least half an hour before the very occasional car would appear.

screenman

Legendary Member
see the 2nd part of post #9 ...maybe it's the parents not wanting them to go out on their own rather than the kids not wanting to?

Of the few parents I associate with some say they cannot get the kids to leave the computer, my own grandson is the same..

Of the few parents I associate with some say they cannot get the kids to leave the computer, my own grandson is the same..
I was a 90s kid. I had a SNES, and my neighbour had a Megadrive, we put some serious time into video games. Now, I'm not saying I never turned down an invite to play out, but that generally was because I got a hot new game. The novelty always wore off eventually and I would be pining to be outdoors again. When the weather wasn't appalling you couldn't get us off our MTBs. It's not computer games that are the problem really, it's the lack of safe and engaging space to play these days. Luckily I lived in the countryside. My own friends (same age) who lived in busier suburbs or urban environments are not bicycle mad like me, that figures, on account of the lack of places to ride to and from.

Of course, you cant take a kid that has never really lived outdoors, and expect them to take to it like a duck to water. There will be resistance. You've got to get them used to it early on. Cotton wool parenting doesn't help in that regard. Some parents do use video games and TV to placate their kids, because parenting is hard. I sympathise, but don't agree with it. It takes real commitment to give your kids a love for the outdoors these days, because there's so little space to do it, unless your fortunate enough to have it on the doorstep, it might mean actively seeking it out on weekends and lighter evenings. Easier said than done when you're knackered from full time work. Hence the commitment bit.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It's a great idea, we used to play on the street. Tag, hopscotch, British Bull dog, football, double Dutch skipping, hide and seek, bikes off ramps etc etc. As others say much more social as well.

You can achieve much of it by carefully blocking off roads one end, and putting one way systems in. Makes it a royal pain to drive to local shops so people stop doing it as a default.

We also need to reduce car ownership. Many roads only have half their intended capacity / width as motorists selfishly park cars obstructing the Queen's highway.

Sixmile

Veteran
I've enjoyed the Ciclovia events in Belfast when once a year (!) part of the city centre is closed to all traffic to allow young and old to walk, cycle and play on the city streets between 9am and 1pm on one Sunday in Autumn. Still there's some amount of gurning done about it and unfortunately the city council have pulled the funding on it this year so it's not happening. It's amazing that the council can find tens of thousands to give to 'community groups' when it's bonfire season, to stop them putting tyres on the bonnies but can't find £10,000 for an all ages multi-cultural leisure event that is growing year on year.

Top Bottom