Closer overtakes in bad weather?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheffgirl

I have thought this a few times, and was reminded of it today. I cycle to work no matter the weather (with the exception of ice and bad snow) and it seems to me that whenever it is raining a lot, drivers leave less room when they overtake me. I don't know why this is, has anyone else noticed it?

cd365

Guru
No but I avoid bad weather rides

Hip Priest

Veteran
I've certainly noticed it.

However, I'm not sure whether the passes are actually closer, or whether I'm just more nervy due to the slippy surface.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Raining isn't bad weather.

MTFU
Does torrential rain with thunder and lightning both sides of the road with half a mile count as i about shite myself with the closeness and volumne?:laugh:
Even with full waterproofs i was soaked after a couple of miles but the drivers were very good at giving me lots of room and giving me time to go around the worst flooded sections in the road , mind you most of them probably work at the same place as me and are sued to seeing me about .
I think i have some water ingress in the frame somewhere as the bike is now sqeaking and when i spin the wheels its not coming from them but occurs every pedal stroke on or off the seat .

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Haha, I did reconsider this morning but not because of the rain, I was thinking about the potential of getting hit by lightning. How likely actually is this? Silly question I know.
fairly low unless your in the middle of nowhere with nothing higher than you but the chances are fairly remote , you have more chance of a close overtake

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Everyone drives like a cockwomble when it rains in Sussex. I think they get mesmerised by the wiper blades.

So yes, ime, you get more close passes; in my case possibly because I take a more assertive secondary rather than ride through puddles which are probably hiding holes.

broadway

Veteran
I've thought that cars travel faster and closer, but wonder if it is just because the cars make more road noise when it is wet.

I've noticed it and I believe it happens, but I think that sometimes it is my heightened nervousness in wet weather that makes me extremely sensitive to any perceived close pass.

Also, I wonder whether the sensation of either having tyre spray in your face or being momentarily protected from the rain by a passing truck makes it all seem a little more intimate than it is.

Thirdly, I often ride further out into the road in the wet, as I am very aware of the hidden perils of puddles and I bear the scars.

So yes, I do think that people may drive closer to cyclists in poor weather... but I think we can gain an illusion of greater proximity through fear and our own road position.

cd365

Guru
Raining isn't bad weather.

MTFU
I like my cycling to be enjoyable and riding in rain that is hammering it down so hard it affects my vision and visibility to other road users, soaks me to the bone etc. is just not enjoyable in my opinion. If you enjoy that sort of thing then good on you, I don't.

Plus I've heard that my carbon bike will melt in the rain :laugh:, it's on the t'internet so must be true :whistle:

Seems more like the opposite where I live when the sun comes out so do all the numpties with their windows wound down telling you to move over or whatever.

Haha, I did reconsider this morning but not because of the rain, I was thinking about the potential of getting hit by lightning. How likely actually is this? Silly question I know.
Just keep your bum higher than your head and it will hopefully take the quickest route down your legs bypassing your heart (the dangerous bit for lightening strikes) - as easy as that:wacko:

Top Bottom