Clothes for this time of year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andywinds

I need to help in to wear during the colder months. When I MTB i take a hydration pack which is also a rucksack for carrying a jacket and also something to stow away an extra layer when I get too warm. But with road biking I am not taking a rucksack to carry layers that I remove.
Is there a suitable jacket that I can wear first thing on a cold Saturday that will not be too warm later in the day? It's a bit too cold just to go out in a t-shirt, or should I just man up?

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Bit of a manning up, but also a combination of arm/ leg warmers to adjust as you ride, a windproof/ waterproof gilet to put on and off and a lightweight waterproof race jacket- all these should fit into your jersey pockets/ saddle bag with some wriggling.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

I thought so! I am happy to wear full length bibs, it just the top halve. Will get have to get a proper cycling shirt with pockets then.

Bit of a manning up, but also a combination of arm/ leg warmers to adjust as you ride, a windproof/ waterproof gilet to put on and off and a lightweight waterproof race jacket- all these should fit into your jersey pockets/ saddle bag with some wriggling.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It would make sense if a forum was created for Winter clothing and Winter cycling. There have been lots of posts on this subject in the past few weeks. It happens at this time of year every year.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Admiral Togo, with aero admirals' hat. I can't see how the weight of the medals would help in cycling, but there have to be points given for panache.
Admiral Togo was "The Nelson of the East", architect of the Japanese naval victory at Tsuishima.

A larger saddlebag is useful for winter riding.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

I do have what I would call a larger topeak saddle back, I use this to keep spare tube, lever and phone in.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think I would rather be chilly at the start and not take a larger bag.
Embrace hypothermia!

As for jackets, I find my Roubaix jacket packs up fairly small (not small enough for a jersey pocket), good for about 5-15°C and combining with armwarmers or a thin pocketable waterproof extends that down lower or copes with cold winds.

Top Bottom