Clothes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to wear my padded shorts under my adidas trackies, but after a cold/wet ride i bought a pair of lycra tights while on a ride, changed into them in the bike shop and the difference was amazing... there is even a sort of feeling that they somehow compress the leg muscles into helping you pedal !!! (or maybe thats just me !!) but i'm sold on the idea now !

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've always worn it on the bike since getting one a couple of years ago. The only different is that until I'd reached 12 stone I wore baggy clothes over it. Upon reaching 12 stone, the baggy stuff came off ^_^

Oh, and it was all sorts of colours/designs. Basically, whatever was cheapest on eBay (usually under £5) and was then re-sold on here/eBay later as I kept shrinking.

Reactions: Rev

hotmetal

Again, depends what I'm doing. On the mountainbike, I'll have tech clothing that suits the conditions, mostly cycling specific, but maybe a pair of baggy shorts over the top, and if warm enough not to need leggings then padded boxers underneath the baggies.

If I'm out for a 35-miler with the road boys (and girls) then poncy lycra to match my bike (or the others will ride so fast I get dropped, in order to preserve their own cycling cred ha ha!)

On the way to work, it's normal clothes, and some clippy shoes that actually look like normal trainers.

The clothes is more than about fashion though, you really don't want to work up a massive sweat or go out in the rain when wearing cotton tee-shirts and denim jeans. Unless you like chafing and pneumonia of course!

IncoherentJeff

Far too self concious to pull off the lycra.
So I stick to my normal clothes, padded shorts underneath, helmet & MTB SPD's so I can walk around without my cleats chewing up any floors.

Tempted by some overshoes as I couldn't feel my feet by the time I got to work the other day!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Like many who have replied, it depends what I'm doing. Went the long way round into town today - twenty miles in jeans, steel toe cap boots, cotton t-shirt and plenty of thermals, and the only "official" cycling clothing were my gloves, buff and helmet. Wouldn't do that on my road bike though - the noise from flapping, baggy clothes when I'm on the drops is far too annoying.

D

Deleted member 1258

I commute in my work clothes, have done for over 30 years, if I'm doing general running around, errands etc, ordinary clothes, the cycle clothes are only used for club and leisure rides.

Tango

I wear mostly baggy kit on the MTB and 510 shoes, but do wear winter Lycra

On the road bike it is Lycra bib shorts with mtb spd shoes in summer and bib longs and goretex MTB SPD boots in winter

I tend to wear short sleeve MTB jerseys as I don't have the physique for anything shin tight above the waist.

If I did I would have to keep an eye out for Chinese men with harpoons :smile:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
what on earth does that mean? :ohmy:

It means "it"

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Just wondering, how many people on here cycle with their regular clothes rather than lycra? Hopefully getting a bike very soon but just cant see myself dressed that way.

Be very carefull ! It starts off innocently enough when you think "those clip in shoes seem like a good idea", and of course, they are. But then, you've now crossed the line into the "needing special shoes" for an activity, and it's very hard to pull back from this. Next thing, you start thinking that a pair of those special shorts might be more comfy, and it'll save messing round with tucking trousers in socks. Again, these are quite good, so when winter comes, better get some long 'uns. And those with braces seem a good idea too. Next thing you know you find you've bought yourself one of those jackets with pockets in the back, semi windproof - it's only a jersey after all; where's the harm in that ? By this time it's too late, head to foot in lycra, the proverbial MAMIL.

I though I could handle it, so be warned. Just say "no" to drugs the special shoes

D

Deleted member 1258

Be very carefull ! It starts off innocently enough when you think "those clip in shoes seem like a good idea", and of course, they are. But then, you've now crossed the line into the "needing special shoes" for an activity, and it's very hard to pull back from this. Next thing, you start thinking that a pair of those special shorts might be more comfy, and it'll save messing round with tucking trousers in socks. Again, these are quite good, so when winter comes, better get some long 'uns. And those with braces seem a good idea too. Next thing you know you find you've bought yourself one of those jackets with pockets in the back, semi windproof - it's only a jersey after all; where's the harm in that ? By this time it's too late, head to foot in lycra, the proverbial MAMIL.

I though I could handle it, so be warned. Just say "no" to drugs the special shoes

Its like an insidious disease creeping up on you, by the time you realise its too late. ^_^
Fortunately I saw it coming at the last moment, hence my mixing ordinary and cycle clothes. ^_^

flatflr

Guru
I started on the mountain bike wearing padded lycra shorts with some long shorts over the top as I was a bit conscious, they certainly did the job. When I was more comfortable I went out without the shorts over the top and when I got my road bike I progressed to some bib tights, I did feel a big odd the first time I wore them but soon got used to them, have just taken delivery of some bib shorts and tops for the summer (so the rubbish summer will be all my fault).

I started on the mountain bike wearing padded lycra shorts with some long shorts over the top as I was a bit conscious, they certainly did the job. When I was more comfortable I went out without the shorts over the top and when I got my road bike I progressed to some bib tights, I did feel a big odd the first time I wore them but soon got used to them, have just taken delivery of some bib shorts and tops for the summer (so the rubbish summer will be all my fault).

Boo, you ruined summer, you suck.

Top Bottom