Clothes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SWSteve

Guru
Are other forums - running for example - littered with threads about lycra embarrassment - or isn't it just accepted that that's what you wear when taking part in that activity?
I hear what you're saying, but I don't know as I do not follow those forums, one thing for certain runners love a very short but baggy short.

I would love to find a snooker forum where they comment on the benefits of wearing different types of waistcoat

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I hear what you're saying, but I don't know as I do not follow those forums, one thing for certain runners love a very short but baggy short.

I would love to find a snooker forum where they comment on the benefits of wearing different types of waistcoat
I did a little research on 'Runner's World' - and there does seem to be discussion as to which are better - loose or lycra shorts, and what you wear under them, chafing seems to be the issue, function, not appearance. I haven't checked out snooker yet (don't think I'll bother either ^_^).

OP
OP
voodoochilli

voodoochilli

Yeah, I got out on my bike today and noticed a few things. Firstly, I was cold. Some kind of thermal thing would have helped. Secondly, contrary to my initial suspicions, my seat was indeed too low. It looked funny to me when I made it higher and was hard to get on it at first, as in the old days my seat used to be level with the handle bar. When I raised it, my trousers kept getting caught in the gears so I had to stuff my trouser bottoms into my socks for the remaining 5 miles. I think I would rather wear something tight or a bicycle clip than look plain silly.

I did wear a helmet though, luckily it wasn't used but I didn't feel as self conscious as I thought I would. I am one of those self conscious types that doesn't like drawing attention to themselves, I even think sunglasses are pretentious (especially indoors!), so this was a good step for me.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Yeah, I got out on my bike today and noticed a few things. Firstly, I was cold. Some kind of thermal thing would have helped. Secondly, contrary to my initial suspicions, my seat was indeed too low. It looked funny to me when I made it higher and was hard to get on it at first, as in the old days my seat used to be level with the handle bar. When I raised it, my trousers kept getting caught in the gears so I had to stuff my trouser bottoms into my socks for the remaining 5 miles. I think I would rather wear something tight or a bicycle clip than look plain silly.

I did wear a helmet though, luckily it wasn't used but I didn't feel as self conscious as I thought I would. I am one of those self conscious types that doesn't like drawing attention to themselves, I even think sunglasses are pretentious (especially indoors!), so this was a good step for me.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Nobody looks twice at a cyclist in a helmet anymore and sunglasses aren't pretentious they are tools, i can barely see in bright sunlight without them.

flatflr

Guru
Nobody looks twice at a cyclist in a helmet anymore and sunglasses aren't pretentious they are tools, i can barely see in bright sunlight without them.

My view is that it's better to have a helmet and not need it that need one and not have one. Same with glasses, and not just for the sun, they are not there to look cool (well just a little) but to save your eyes.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
I am 100% proud to be a mamil.

me to!

Don't care what I look like and i'm 5ft 7 and 14 stone.......lycra is too functional not to be worn (i sweat a lot)......I don't go out on my bikes without lycra longs or shorts....cycling T 's.....cycling jacket.....base or compression layers also in winter underneath....road shoes and clipless pedals...15mile commute or longer weekend/evening rides Its lycra all the way for me.....but its a personal choice at the end of the day....

RedRider

Pulling through
I'm going for a kickabout in the park with my six-year-old niece at the weekend. I'll be wearing full kit including shinnies and Adidas F50 adizero boots which at £200 feel like a moisture-wicking slipper containing a howitzer. Afterwards, I'll change into top-of -the-range hiking gear for the 15 minute walk back home.

I wear lycra shorts, and wear tops or leggings to suit the conditions. It's for comfort while cycling, not for attracting attention to my winkie or for impressing ageist fashion weenies. If I'm gonna walk through Meadowhall I'll wear something different.
Also my girlfriend says I look good in lycra, so quite frankly I don't give two hoots what anyone else thinks ^_^

redcard

Veteran
I'm going for a kickabout in the park with my six-year-old niece at the weekend. I'll be wearing full kit including shinnies and Adidas F50 adizero boots which at £200 feel like a moisture-wicking slipper containing a howitzer. Afterwards, I'll change into top-of -the-range hiking gear for the 15 minute walk back home.

Do you have a point?

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
Stages of cycling:
1) I'm going to get a bike, but I'm not going to wear lycra. I will look silly.
2) I'm riding a bike and not wearing lycra. And proud. Why do we need it?
3) I'm riding further distances, and finding that my bum and adjacent areas get a little uncomfortable after a while. Find myself thinking about lycra.
4) I buy some lycra, just to try, but keep it carefully hidden under baggy clothes. I'm not really a lycra wearer, but they may be on to something.
5) I love lycra. Its warm, comfortable, doesn't chaffe, and feels good. I'm going to get some more. Bib tights, longs, shorts, anything I can get my hands on. Can't believe I was stupid enough to rule out lycra.
6) Hot day - ditch the baggies and stick with the lycra. Boy doesn't the bike fly! I've got there and back, still feel good, and have time for an extra cup of tea and a cake. Stupid non-lycra wearing cyclists. Don't know what they are missing.
7) Meet someone I know whilst wearing lycra. They laugh at me. I take a look in the mirror.:eek:. Whose fault is all this?
8) Keep lycra carefully hidden under baggy clothes until I loose a bit more weight. I was right all along!

Dislike #7! Rude, rude, rude people - take no notice!

Top Bottom