Clothing Choices for the Middle Aged

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User32269

My mate who is 53 came round the other night after a clothes buying trip. He proudly showed me his new stash of clobber. These included boot cut jeans, trainees with springs attached and all the colours of the rainbow, and a variety of hoodies with huge logos everywhere. I pointed out sympathetically that, given our advancing years, he dressed like some weirdo old bloke that hung around the gates of sixth form schools. He took the hump at this, accusing me of dressing like Bear Grylls dad.

I had a bit of a think about my dress sense when I approached my fifties. Levis and Ben Shermans for smart, hiking kecks, fleeces etc. for dossing about. Don't want to look like some old fool trying to dress trendy, but also not ready for the diamond pattern zip up cardy and elasticated pants.

What solutions have you come up with to this sartorial minefield?

*Edited coz at my age I struggle with predictive text.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm a self confessed tramp. Old camo jacket, cloth cap, a timeless look that works at any age. I've a vast collection of Motorhead, Sabbath and Jethro Tull T shirts, and comfortably worn jeans and walking boots finish the ensemble. During colder weather I may do an Arran sweater or a tweed waistcoat.

If I'm going out I do it proper. Hand made suits cos off the peg ones don't fit me very well, even mix and match size jackets and trousers, Italian shoes, Piaget watch, shirts hand made in Jermyn Street, but that's a rarity. More often than not I look like Zak Dingle on his way to a Wurzels gig.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I went to Burnley this afternoon for a medical assessment, Now i thought there were some scruffy people in Accrington, but Burnley shocked me! The typical middle aged person there seems to wear the scruffiest clothes they can find and they all seem to have a fag hanging out their mouth and an elbow crutch on their arm!:ohmy:

Levo-Lon

Guru
I like denim shirts and jeans with a nice brogue shoe..
Though jeans and T shirt ,jumpers and shirts..Next TK and TU are a favourite ...I like casual jackets too.

But I'm just as happy in work clothes or MTB gear as I'm on my bike then...or my road gear..

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'm a self confessed tramp. Old camo jacket, cloth cap, a timeless look that works at any age. I've a vast collection of Motorhead, Sabbath and Jethro Tull T shirts, and comfortably worn jeans and walking boots finish the ensemble. During colder weather I may do an Arran sweater or a tweed waistcoat.

If I'm going out I do it proper. Hand made suits cos off the peg ones don't fit me very well, even mix and match size jackets and trousers, Italian shoes, Piaget watch, shirts hand made in Jermyn Street, but that's a rarity. More often than not I look like Zak Dingle on his way to a Wurzels gig.

"Italian shoes" - and it was going so well. Shoes are made in Northampton my good man

Top Bottom