Clothing Choices for the Middle Aged

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
My mate who is 53 came round the other night after a clothes buying trip. He proudly showed me his new stash of clobber. These included boot cut jeans, trainees with springs attached and all the colours of the rainbow, and a variety of hoodies with huge logos everywhere. I pointed out sympathetically that, given our advancing years, he dressed like some weirdo old bloke that hung around the gates of sixth form schools. He took the hump at this, accusing me of dressing like Bear Grylls dad.

I had a bit of a think about my dress sense when I approached my fifties. Levis and Ben Shermans for smart, hiking kecks, fleeces etc. for dossing about. Don't want to look like some old fool trying to dress trendy, but also not ready for the diamond pattern zip up cardy and elasticated pants.

What solutions have you come up with to this sartorial minefield?

*Edited coz at my age I struggle with predictive text.
My OH (Age 48) sports the climber look. He is a climber, so I guess this shouldn't be a surprise. I quite like the climber look. Rugged.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I like that outfit.
What would be the female equivalent?

upload_2017-5-17_18-3-58.png

Lovely, but a little impractical in a crosswind methinks

OP
OP
U

User32269

Should I start a ladies thread? Cropped chinos and a jersey top/t shirt/ blouse of some variety. Flat comfy shoes or merrell sandals.
Was never meant to be male specific! I'm liking the look!
I can't help thinking thread might have turned out a bit confrontational if my op had been about a female friend? Ladies of a certain age, ditch the mini skirt and hello kitty vests and dress your age!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I think my oldest tshirt is coming up for 20 years old. So I just carry on wearing what I've been wearing since my early 30's. Body shape still the same, so why not?

Hyslop

Veteran
[QUOTE 4805331, member: 9609"] View attachment 352814 modelling my self styled off down the workshop gear[/QUOTE]
Goodness Me!You look like a Reiver:smile:.An Armstrong plugged in to the mains^_^.Why are you plugged in to the socket by the way?Frightening idea in this part of the world,terrifying if youre a CCer in Penrith or Kendal.Doesnt scare me^_^:tongue:

Top Bottom