Clothing - Essential Winter Kit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
tdr1nka

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Bigtallfatbloke said:
be very careful though or this might happen to you...

cropped2.jpg

I just need a year or two to get my hair back to that length.;)

RSwillow

this is a great thread as i'm just starting out again and need to review winter clothing!

OP
OP
tdr1nka

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Welcome RSwillow!

I'm a veteran of many a ride where I could have been warmer and dryer
had I only been given some pointers and recommendations.

This thread is meant to give some forward thinking to then be prepared for, rather than summon up, the demons of the dark months.;)

OP
OP
tdr1nka

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Bigtallfatbloke said:
..most important thing for winter riding in the uk is guts...where can I buy some of those?

You'll be wanting more confidence 'tis all, but that has to be built.
One of the areas I'm keen to cover once I've(fingers crossed)passed the Cycling Instructor course is the daunting winter commute.

Bigtallfatbloke

I road almost every day last winter and a couple of nights as well. The plan was to wear as much as possible and sweat and much bulk off as possible. The plan worked.
Two essentila bits of kit on my shopping list now are WATERPROOF overshoes and gloves.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I feel the cold (reynalds syndrome), so I find it can be very hard getting the number of layers right. (In the really cold weather I have been known to wear 2 fleeces and also gloves with liner gloves underneath.... what I really want is proper WATERPROOF gloves... I've ones that are nearly waterproof but none that are fully waterproof, and warm (don't ask for much do I). But I did commute all winter last year, though I'm not sure I'm really for a really icy winter - but not from the clothing point of view.

roadiewill

its 27C today guys.. stop with the winter clothing chat

OP
OP
tdr1nka

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I had several thoughts when I started this thread and I did wonder if some might say I'd be wishing the summer past.

First and foremost I thought those who are considering commuting in the winter to have enough time, advice and recommendations to save or order in advance where in some cases items are cheaper.

And if it's so nice out there, why are you in here?:laugh:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Winter clothing for Edinburgh:

dHb bib tights (from the days before they got posh names & two types)
Polaris Silicon jersey
Altura Night Vision gloves
Endura overshoes
Buff shaped into a skullcap
Hi-Viz / reflective waistcoat
(Lidl cycling rain jacket for the days when it's freezing and tipping down, which is the only time that boiling-in-the-bag is bearable.)

Even in sub-zero I never found any need for layers under the top. I'm sweating by the time I reach work with that lot on !

You southern lot must be a right bunch of big jessies (tm) needing all of those layers for the feebly mild winters you have down there... :sun: :rofl:

gavintc

Guru
goo_mason said:
Winter clothing for Edinburgh:

dHb bib tights (from the days before they got posh names & two types)
Polaris Silicon jersey
Altura Night Vision gloves
Endura overshoes
Buff shaped into a skullcap
Hi-Viz / reflective waistcoat
(Lidl cycling rain jacket for the days when it's freezing and tipping down, which is the only time that boiling-in-the-bag is bearable.)

Even in sub-zero I never found any need for layers under the top. I'm sweating by the time I reach work with that lot on !

You southern lot must be a right bunch of big jessies (tm) needing all of those layers for the feebly mild winters you have down there... :sun: :rofl:

I tend to agree with the list above I rarely wear more than an undershirt (Helly Hansen) and winter cycling jacket and only when it is Baltic does my buff come out. However, as others have also identified, I have not 'yet' found the ideal pair of gloves and if anything gets chilly - it is the ends of my fingers.

Top Bottom