Clothing - Essential Winter Kit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I know this is probably a bit early but with the holidays nearly over I've already started to think about my winter commutes.

I thought it would be helpful for me, and those who have only come back to cycling over the summer, and may have trepidation about cycling on through the dark, to have a recommended list of the 'must have' kit and some encouragement to keep us going, warm & dry, for those winter months.

Lets face it, once those nights start to draw close and the cold(and probably more rain)sets in, we can all succumb to second thoughts about getting out on the bike, braving the elements and have guilty trembles at the fear of turning into a fair weather cyclist!;)

My thinking is that a discussion now, gives folk a chance to compare choice and price before actually needing the kit.
This year I have cunningly put cash aside for just this purpose and don't want to buy cheap alternatives because the need arises.:ohmy:

My Personal 'wish list' includes;

*Please note that I have not ranged far in looking for items, I'm already buying from Chain Reaction and want to make one big order for ease and no UK postage;).
All alternative recommendations gratefully received*

A waterproof/all weather jacket;

I am blessed with broad shoulders and v. gangley arms so I will need a jacket that has arms that will reach to my wrists, preferably covering the cuff of my gloves. Any ideas?
I want to be visible, hence the HiVi, but I'd be a lot more interested in black with reflective surfaces.

(My possible choices are here, here, and this.)

Gloves;

I cannot stand bulky winter gloves. My hands get too warm and sweaty:blush:.
I'd like something full finger, that fits like a Marigold, lets my hands breath and keeps the rain out.

(Most likely candidates are these.)

Overshoes;

I only went clipless this spring and so a total newbie to the varied and confusing array of neoprene socks and overshoes. I have no idea where to start, do I even need them?:sad:

I'll be wearing shorts or longs through the winter as I prefer to get wet legs rather than cycle in wet clothes but if there are any suggestions on how to keep legs and even heads dry, it'd be well worth putting them on the list.

Here's to us keeping on, riding dry through the winter!

Cheers!

Tdr1nka :rofl:

Lonerider

I have just purchased some winter gear. Over 100 pounds worth of kit. The Endura tights were 90 odd pounds but I think they will be worth it in the long term. Thought the DHB gloves were a bargain, I have always found their stuff of good qaulity. I opted for water proof socks rather than over shoes so I can adjust my shoes on the go.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/dhb_Waterproof_Winter_Gloves/5360031266/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/S...hable_Bike_Waterproof_Ankle_Socks/5360010910/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Endura_Stealth_Waterproof_Tights_w~o_Pad/5360025654/

Hugo15

Über Member
My winter kit is as follows.

Gloves: I have some Altura Night Vision ones. I really like them. Keep your hands warm without them overheating and not too bulky. I had some other Altura ones, but the cuff was not long enough and the liner inside pulled out when you took them off, making getting them back on again a nightmare.

Headwear: Got an Endura skull cap last winter. Thought I might overheat in it but I wore it loads (oh and I am a candidate for 2012 in sweating!!).

Feet: Assos winter socks. I know people will say the Assos stuff is overpriced but I wear these all winter with a bog standard neoprene overshoes and hardly ever suffer from cold feet.

Tights: I have had some Lusso Repel ones. Have used them for about the last 6 years. Got some windproof De Marchi ones a couple of years ago but they shrunk in the wash and I ended up giving them away :biggrin:. The Lusso ones don't have a pad so I usually just wear a pair of old bib shorts under them.

Top: On my top half I wear Helly Hansen long sleeve base layer, long sleeve fleecy backed jersey and a windproof gillet. Keeps my warm enough without overheating, which can happen with a full jacket. I then carry a lightweight waterproof in case of rain. I also have a softshell top for when it is really cold (<5 c). My mate has a Gore Phantom softshell jacket that he really likes. The sleeves zip off to make a gillet if it gets a bit warm.

OP
OP
tdr1nka

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I am hoping to get a jacket that means I'd only need one base layer, if I have too many layers I then spend half my ride stopping to disrobe. I need some sort of 'one way or the other' set up or I tend to overheat.

I have my Aldi longs and shorts plus an assortment of wicking tops so all the 'underneath' stuff is catered for, it's just the keeping it all dry and warm dept. that needs review.:blush:

roadiewill

how good are gillets generally in keeping you warm, I tend to find my dhb jacket gets me too hot on most days and I end up rolling the sleeves up anyway

Bigtallfatbloke

On the jacke tfront this is what i do:

I have an altura night vision jacket in black with silver reflective trims. It lights up like blackpool tower in headlights. I like the balck because it looks cool off the bike as well...I wear it to band rehearsals ...erm...when i'm in aband that is...anyway...

The downside it that it isnt visable in the daytime/grey murky weather...so i have simple hi vis vest I wear over it in such conditions. One other plus to this arrangement on tour for me is that I have a hi vis vest which can be worn with nothing underneath in hot conditions on busy roads. Had I taken my red jacket on tour to france I would have had a choice between riding invisable on killer roads, or riding in 35c with a water proof jacket on. This way i have the best on all worlds, looks cool in the boozer, is visable at night (and day with the vest) and I can be seen when riding on desert motorways in france!

OP
OP
tdr1nka

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Bigtallfatbloke said:
On the jacke tfront this is what i do:

I have an altura night vision jacket in black with silver reflective trims. It lights up like blackpool tower in headlights. I like the balck because it looks cool off the bike as well...I wear it to band rehearsals ...erm...when i'm in aband that is...anyway...

The downside it that it isnt visable in the daytime/grey murky weather...so i have simple hi vis vest I wear over it in such conditions. One other plus to this arrangement on tour for me is that I have a hi vis vest which can be worn with nothing underneath in hot conditions on busy roads. Had I taken my red jacket on tour to france I would have had a choice between riding invisable on killer roads, or riding in 35c with a water proof jacket on. This way i have the best on all worlds, looks cool in the boozer, is visable at night (and day with the vest) and I can be seen when riding on desert motorways in france!

How cool is this!:blush:
I've just decided on the same jacket, same colour for the same reasons, no band either:rolleyes:!
I'll just bung a HiVi on in the day, which is what I'm doing at the moment!

Ta, and ROCK ON!:blush:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
roadiewill said:
how good are gillets generally in keeping you warm, I tend to find my dhb jacket gets me too hot on most days and I end up rolling the sleeves up anyway

I really like Gillets. Have a Parrot lightweight jobbie, whilst not thick or overly waterproof, I'm surprised what weather conditions it seems to cope with, when combined with a long sleeve top it works surprisingly well in cold weather and a fair amount of rain too. A light windproof compact Gillet has been one of my best and most versatile purchases. My long-sleeve Altura only emerges in Monsoon conditions... and then I have to ride slowly to keep the heat level down.

Bigtallfatbloke

How cool is this!
I've just decided on the same jacket, same colour for the same reasons, no band either!
I'll just bung a HiVi on in the day, which is what I'm doing at the moment!

Ta, and ROCK ON!

be very careful though or this might happen to you...

cropped2.jpg

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Recent winters in the South haven't been that cold. Normally December-February I'll wear a long-sleeve top (with a base layer if it's around freezing), a gilet over that, tights, gloves, wooly hat (often removed after a couple miles), overshoes (again only if around freezing). Waterproof top instead of gilet if raining.

A couple of times in February it was warm enough for shorts.

I hereby request that you all stop talking about winter kit until at least the end of September - What next, what's the best winter drink, soup or hot chocolate.

It's making me feel miserable, y'hear! :ohmy:

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Hugo15 said:
My mate has a Gore Phantom softshell jacket that he really likes. The sleeves zip off to make a gillet if it gets a bit warm.

I've got one of these as well. I've been fine in it in some pretty cold weather with just a long-sleeved merino base layer under it. Perfect for not arriving at work all hot and sweaty. It also stands up to a fair amount of rain and even if it gets soaked it dries before the end of the day.

OP
OP
tdr1nka

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Crackle said:
I hereby request that you all stop talking about winter kit until at least the end of September - What next, what's the best winter drink, soup or hot chocolate.

It's making me feel miserable, y'hear! ;)

My sincerest apologies Crackle.

(Eggnog, Minestrone and Green & Black;))

Top Bottom