Clothing for the fuller figured lady

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alasdairgf

So my wife (of broken coccyx fame) has now discovered that she can actually cycle with a gel saddle, and has finangled a new bike out of my in-laws for her birthday (damn, now she has a better bike than me... stuff the Joneses, keep up with the spouse!). Great - we went on a short ride today, 9 easy miles along the Mersey, she loved it even though she was knackered by the end of it. Really looking forward to doing this more often & further!

The question of what to wear has come up, though - my wife doesn't really have much she can wear cycling, and what she has will wear out pretty quick. She's def 'fuller figured', and got a bit depressed looking at cycling clothes on websites, none of which had anything near large enough for her.

Any suggestions on (a) what to wear - we're cycling to get fit & lose weight, but not exactly serious training, and (;) where to get the plus sizes?

jimboalee

http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/pluswoman.htm#

Have a look as this lot.

They've got womens shorts sizes up to XXXX-L ( 55 to 57 inch hips )

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
alasdairgf said:
Any suggestions on (a) what to wear - we're cycling to get fit & lose weight, but not exactly serious training, and (:biggrin: where to get the plus sizes?

I've no idea about the plus sizes (I'm at the other end of the scale!) but she should wear whatever she's comfortable in. I wear cotton t-shirts, leggings, cropped trousers - generally whatever is comfortable and handy. I sure that some people who feel that you need all the proper gear think I'm crazy but that's their problem :smile:

Your wife might find that padded underwear helps and she can wear that under ordinary clothes.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Aldi & Lidl sizes are very generous. Very good quality too for the prices.

I struggled with proper bike shops as they cater for the enthusiast who's always wafer thin.

gavintc

Guru
I suggest looking for an American based brand clothing and avoid European brand names. We have access to both American clothes and Italian ones here - it is quite remarkable that 'large' can mean such a difference in actual sizing.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Whatever she wears, PLEASE don't let her ride around with a coat/sweater/whatever tied around her waist.

Arch

Married to Night Train
If she's worried about tight clothing, there is always the MTB baggy style - I have a nice loose t-shirt top that is still made of wicking material.

But for shorter rides, she can wear anything practical that she's comfortable in - padded undies might be useful.

Also, of course, once she's well and truly hooked, she may find she becomes less fuller figured....

battered

Guru
I'm no expert bt I would think that outdoor clothing is available in a range of sizes. a base layer or two, a fleece layer and a shell jacket all come in avrious sizes. That and a pair of shorts and leggings and you are done. The women I see in leggings at the gym etc are far from being a UK size 8 so on that basis sports clothing is available for women older than 20. :-)

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
I would say any clothing suitable for outdoors exercise is fine... depending on how far you want to extend the bike rides, a pair of padded shorts (can be worn under long-legged trousers/leggings/baggy shorts or whatever) may make things more comfortable and therefore enjoyable :tongue:.

Wicking fabric is nice as you don't feel sticky when you start to glow a wee bit (sweating is for blokes :tongue:), but you can get that from any Millet/Black's/Mountain Warehouse etc, whatever is available in your area. Lidl/Aldi or any running shops will also have things to choose from ...
but not to get too wound up about "cycling specific", except for possibly the padded shorts

Have fun Mrs A!

T

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
SavageHoutkop said:

I recommended Corrine Dennis to a friend on the basis of recommendations on here after she hadn't found clothes in the local cycling shops to fit her. She has since reported that she finds it very comfortable.

But she doesn't have to wear specific cycle gear, I mostly wear normal clothes apart from the base layers in winter and waterproof jacket.

Maizie

Veteran
Second most of the advice on here - wear what is comfortable and don't worry about having cycling-specific stuff so long as it is comfy.

My thoughts are:

1) Underwear upper - this is going to be personal choice, but I am uncomfortable in a normal bra and have to wear a sports bra. A good sports shop or department store will be able to find something (for all but seriously extreme sizes) if Mrs Alasdairgf feels similarly.

2) Outwerwear upper - just like in the real world, sizes vary! In Altura, I can buy anything in a size 14 and it will fit. With dhb I'm a 16, as I am with Foska. With other clothes I might need an 18, if they did but make them :biggrin:
BUT, you don't need to stick to women's clothing. With Foska I am a 16 if I want a women's road jersey. If instead I have a freeride jersey (baggier like a 'normal' t-shirt style), then I'm a medium! The freeride shirts are unisex, but the sizing is more 'men's like', so you can get larger sizes than at the top end of the women's-specific stuff. And it doesn't looke like you are wearing 'mens clothes' :eek:
There's also non-cycling gear. You can get wicking t-shirts at outdoor shops, again the sizes vary in that I can be a 14 to 18, medium to extra large, depending on brand and, erm, how big (or not) they expect the bust to be!
If you can go somewhere that stocks a wide range of things to try (e.g. somewhere like Go Outdoors) then there is bound to be something that fits. Plus there will be a good range of mens stuff there which as with the cycling stuff should go up larger if need be. (There is a Go Outdoors near me and they stock cycling gear and walking gear - men's and women's - wide range of sizes. Complete shopping fest!)

3) Lower clothing - I'd agree that here padding is the key thing. There are two ways of doing this - padded shorts, or padded underwear. If you get padded underwear then you get to wear the shorts/trousers of your choice with them - which again don't have to be cycling-specific or outdoor-specific-wicking - they can just be any comfy trews. This may help in that if you can find undershorts that fit, you don't have to worry about where the over-the-top stuff comes from which frees you up from being limited to the size ranges.
I've been fine in this regard with off the shelf sizes - again sizes vary in that with one brand a 14/L is fine and with another brand an L is...well...something I'll be wearing in the future rather than just now (the shorts fit fine at key places like waist, hips, bottom of legs [I don't look like I'm squeezed in to a too small sausage skin at these points], but they come with the expectation of a flat tummy!)
Corrine Dennis, as already mentioned, is the name I've heard most often in relation to good-quality larger-sized women's cylcing gear (I think they go up to a size 20)

Getting out there and trying stuff on, if possible, is a good way forward. I deliberately didn't make my first few orders online because I was unsure of sizing. I would have bought several things in a 16 if I was buying online, but a LBS had a wide range of gear to try on, and I found that would have been the wrong thing to get!

marooncat

I wear padded shorts under normal track suit bottoms, top half a sports bra and a gents running T shirt.

Last year I got gents cycle shorts from Aldi and they were fine, they needed replacing this year and I went for a couple of pairs of
[FONT=&quot]ALTURA Ladies Tempo Undershorts http://www.milletsports.co.uk/triat...thing/ladies/altura-ladies-tempo-undershorts/[FONT=&quot]but do not notice any difference between them and the (cheaper) shorts. The sizing of the undershorts are quite good, I found them on the big side.

I did get a pair of padded "underwear" from
[/FONT]Corrine Dennis
[/FONT]but I never felt that comfortable wearing them. The quality of them was great and I did consider getting a pair of shorts from them, but tbh the cost put me off.

Top Bottom