Clothing for the overweight!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am just about to buy a bike and get back into it after several years.

I am now 50, 6 foot tall but just over 17 stones with a great beer belly! Can anyone recommend suitable clothing for an overweight chap on a road bike trying to lose some weight and get fit again.

thanks in advance

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
https://fatladattheback.com/collections/mens

Altura clothing is pretty generous, check their size charts.

Sharky

Guru
If you are buying online, just check returns policy. I just bought a cheap rain jacket from decathlon. It was too small but pleasantly surprised that returns can be dropped off at Asda.

If looking for leg coverings, you will be faced with the choice of "bib" or "waist" fittings. A middle option is to go with waist fittings with adjustable clip on braces. Have used this method for ages and will make it easier to adjust as you lose the stomach muscles.

gcogger

In addition to fatladattheback, some of the German/Austrian brands make very large gear (look for Gonso and Loffler). https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/ do a good range of these (ship from Germany, I think, but doesn't take long - returns cost £4). Do be sure to check the sizing charts, though, as the different brands vary, sometimes by quite a bit.

OP
OP
N

NorthamptonDarren

I will take a look, thanks for the quick answers, much appreciated! Just can’t see myself in skin tight outfit for a few months. So looking for a balance of practical bike wear while not looking totally daft!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
1. Wear what you have.

2. At 17 stone and six foot, XL from Aldi/Lidl would fit if you want padded shorts.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I've got a pair of Decathlon Roubaix bibs in a XXL that are new that will fit you OP. They were about £40.00 new and I wore them once lost weight and they have been stuck at the back of the drawer since.They are fleecy on the legs inside and have straps that go over your shoulders. I'd like £20.00 for them and £3.10 postage. Let me know if you are interested.

My advice, decent pair of shorts/bibs for comfort with some 'Ron Hills' over the top, or similar.
Tops wise, anything that's comfy for now 'cos if you keep up this cycling malarkey anything you buy now won't fit in 6 mths anyway!
All the best mate.

Top Bottom