club cyclist?

club cyclist?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i'm in two, the local blackburn ctc for the competitions and day rides, and the north lancs rc for the faster rides and any racing i may want to do.
i was on the ctc committee but it was doin my head in, so i've settled for being an event organiser.

Maz

Guru
Club cyclist? I wouldn't fit in. No road bike, no lycra.

Maz

Guru
marinyork said:
On my own. I'm open to the idea of a cycling club but doubt a suitable one exists, it's hard enough finding anyone remotely interested in cycling (it's the h word that is the turn off).
The 'h' word? What is it?
Is it worse than the 'f' word? :smile:

trio25

Über Member
I'm thinking about it, but not really sure what to expect. There is a club whose sunday runs start close to me, they say the pace is social. But I don't know what they consider social.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
trio25 said:
I'm thinking about it, but not really sure what to expect. There is a club whose sunday runs start close to me, they say the pace is social. But I don't know what they consider social.

probably they either go at the general pace of the slowest riders, or they split into groups of similar speed and meet at the café, stopping as required for the p fairy and calls of nature etc.

if they say it's a social ride, it's probably not the same as a training ride where the pace will be kept high and you'll more or less be on your own should you suffer a mechanical.

before i joined my local club, i rang them up and asked which was the slowest ride to do. so i ended up on the sunday easy run which was about 12mph average with multiple café stops. it gave me the confidence to go for the more sprightly saturday run, which i still do when time permits.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Maz said:
The 'h' word? What is it?
Is it worse than the 'f' word? :biggrin:

Hills. I'm sure you remember a few of them from Sheffield :rolleyes:. Although there are other hilly cities like Bradford and the extreme outskirts of Leeds and various places in Lancashire I find even the small hills and inclines put people off. It's quite telling the commuter bike belt in Sheffield seems to be concentrated in small area in the south west of the city.

Maz

Guru
marinyork said:
Hills. I'm sure you remember a few of them from Sheffield :biggrin:.
Good god, yes. As a kid I did a dare and I hurtled down the full length of Myrtle Rd through a red light at the junction with Queens Rd/Bramall Lane.

Some serious speed for a Raleigh Tomahawk!

Maz

Guru
alecstilleyedye said:
i remember as a student getting the bus up city road to the guitar shop and thinking what a bugger of a hill it was.
City Rd is pretty tough going. Used to cycle a lot down Granville Rd (never up it) that joins city road.

Bigtallfatbloke said:
I would like to join a club which isnt all about time trials etc, specifically I would like to join a club which does foreign touring, somewhere I can hook up with like minded peeps who want to see Europe on a bike with a tent on the cheap!

Pity I'm not still in Essex!

I like the idea of a trip on the continent somewhere, something like a CC European week tour, once or twice a year.
Other than that I prefer to go solo, although I used to cycle with a workmate in Sweden.

Maz said:
Club cyclist? I wouldn't fit in. No road bike, no lycra.
When I first joined a club I just used my Sirrus and wore my Taho's and Humvees, (I still use the Sirrus in winter) it wasn't/ isn't ideal but I could more than hold my own with the slower group. The road bike just made it easier and allowed me to progress to faster groups.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have voted yes to being in a club, because I belong to and ride with my local CTC group. My club that I have belonged to for 12 years, London St. Christophers c.c. and has been in existence since 1930 is in the throws of being wound up. On the last club run there were just two of us who turned up. A shame really.

Will1985

Über Member
I'm not in at the moment. I was riding in the university club last year, and I'm going back for a masters in September so obviously will again. I didn't get round to joining any clubs in Norfolk this year due to work, but I've been out on a couple of club runs and TTs unattached.

surfgurl

I'm not a member. I'm not fast enough and my bike is not good enough.
I'd be up for a CC European Cycle Tour, as long as we can base the tour around cafes and bars on the the continent.

Top Bottom