club cyclist?

club cyclist?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
alecstilleyedye said:
no worse than ours :wacko:
I quite like the Wheelers' one tbh - I'm used to seeing the back of it, as there's a guy wears the club top on his commute (same route as mine part of the way).

trio25

Über Member
stephec said:
This is my club - http://lancsroadclub.org.uk/

Something for everyone.

Depending on your ability, there's a novices ride on the 6th September, or give the Sunday runs a go if you've got some miles in your legs already.

If you want to race then Saturday mornings are normally when the racing lads go out for a spin, the runs can get a bit tasty as there's usually a few first and second cat's out.

If my legs are up to it after transwales, I might try the novice ride, had a look and that should be easily doable. The sunday runs say a sociable pace, that doesn't help me know if I can ride at that pace. I'm ok with distance though, done a few long sportives this year.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
alecstilleyedye said:
could be simon_galgut, an occasional of this parish. he's recently won the veterans' club 10 mile tt competition, which might explain why you're used to seeing the back of the jersey :smile:

Ah, and why he's never that bothered if I huff and puff my way past him :rolleyes:

stephec

Legendary Member
trio25 said:
If my legs are up to it after transwales, I might try the novice ride, had a look and that should be easily doable. The sunday runs say a sociable pace, that doesn't help me know if I can ride at that pace. I'm ok with distance though, done a few long sportives this year.

The last novice ride was 25 miles at about 15mph average. The training rides are usually quite a bit faster, and there's no hanging around. Similar to most clubs, if you can't keep up then you fall off the back. The Sunday runs are social, usually around 15mph over 70/80 miles, they start from the Latino Lounge(used to be the Royal Oak) in Bradshaw near Canon Slade school. Depending on where you are though there's other meeting points shown for each run, if you want the exact locations I can send you details. When I first went out on a Sunday I was told, "don't worry, if you start out with us then you'll come home with us."

If you just want to go out and enjoy your ride then the Sunday run's the best.

trio25

Über Member
stephec said:
The last novice ride was 25 miles at about 15mph average. The training rides are usually quite a bit faster, and there's no hanging around. Similar to most clubs, if you can't keep up then you fall off the back. The Sunday runs are social, usually around 15mph over 70/80 miles, they start from the Latino Lounge(used to be the Royal Oak) in Bradshaw near Canon Slade school. Depending on where you are though there's other meeting points shown for each run, if you want the exact locations I can send you details. When I first went out on a Sunday I was told, "don't worry, if you start out with us then you'll come home with us."

If you just want to go out and enjoy your ride then the Sunday run's the best.

I know where the meeting point is then, about 5minutes from my house. It's slightly faster than I ride on my own, but assume in a group I would be faster? Sounds like what I'm looking for, a group to ride with over the winter when I need toget the base miles in. I'll look into it when I get back from transwales and let my legs recover.

Wolvesbug

Hi everyone, my club is not a club as such but a bunch of enthusiastic and eccentric amateurs who just like a bit of fresh air as long as there's a pub en route. Where I live (Wolverhampton or had you already guessed that?) cycling is still seen as a fringe activity largely for the proletariat. There is little or no provision for cyclists anywhere. But we don't let that bother us in our embryonic group, we just head out into the country mainly on Sunday afternoons for two or three hours. If you live anywhere near here give me a shout if you'd like to come along.

Smeggers

alecstilleyedye said:
could be simon_galgut, an occasional of this parish. he's recently won the veterans' club 10 mile tt competition, which might explain why you're used to seeing the back of the jersey :tongue:
i See him almost every night. Flys past me in the queue of traffic. ;)

Wolvesbug said:
Hi everyone, my club is not a club as such but a bunch of enthusiastic and eccentric amateurs who just like a bit of fresh air as long as there's a pub en route. Where I live (Wolverhampton or had you already guessed that?) cycling is still seen as a fringe activity largely for the proletariat. There is little or no provision for cyclists anywhere. But we don't let that bother us in our embryonic group, we just head out into the country mainly on Sunday afternoons for two or three hours. If you live anywhere near here give me a shout if you'd like to come along.

What else do you need?
Theres the velo track at Aldersley stadium, miles of canal paths and even more miles of country lanes.

http://www.stourbridgecyclingclub.com/ for me, best thing I have done
Great saturday morning blasts and leisurely on Sunday
Also got my bike fixed for free when the gear cable broke which has saved the membership fee aready ;)

Top Bottom