Club ride average speeds, could i keep up ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee_M

Guru
Just put a post on the FB page asking if anyone would like to accompany you for xxxxx miles @ xxxx pace.

I did that on our club FB page last week as I was clearly not fit enough for the general group ride.

Some people insisted on coming with me and said they wanted an easier ride. They then rode the pants off me, including dropping me on a 4 mile section even though I was riding at 22+ mph at the time.

I was not happy and have told them, but apparently that was acceptable on a ride advertised as 12-14 mph average.

Some people are peanuts regardless of where you meet them.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I did that on our club FB page last week as I was clearly not fit enough for the general group ride.

Some people insisted on coming with me and said they wanted an easier ride. They then rode the pants off me, including dropping me on a 4 mile section even though I was riding at 22+ mph at the time.

I was not happy and have told them, but apparently that was acceptable on a ride advertised as 12-14 mph average.

Some people are peanuts regardless of where you meet them.

Now that is just downright disrespectful behavior. What did they say when you told them?
I think the next time you put a shout out for a ride, anyone who continually steams ahead you take a different turning or route. Let them find their own way home.

Lee_M

Guru
Now that is just downright disrespectful behavior. What did they say when you told them?
I think the next time you put a shout out for a ride, anyone who continually steams ahead you take a different turning or route. Let them find their own way home.

I actually complained to the committee as it's been an ongoing issue. The response was they couldn't always cater to the slowest.

I've basically decided to ride for myself and my buddies now, and made my feelings clear to a different committee member who agrees with me.

I'm going to be very obviously absent for a while, I think they'll get the point as I'm a bit of a loud person on the FB page anyway (and ex-committe member), eventually someone will ask where I am.

I'm looking forward to that post

PaulSB

Legendary Member
This is complete nonsense of course. On group rides you ride to the slowest rider.
Surely this depends on the size of the club? In my club we run as many as six official rides at the weekend plus Tuesday and Thursday evenings.

No one should be left behind on an official ride but members are expected to show respect for others by not attending a ride which will be too fast for them.

The scenario @Lee_M gives seems different to me. He put out a shout for people to join him on his social ride, as opposed to the club group ride, which would be at his pace. I think it's the individuals who are at fault and not the club.

It's extremely rude of the individuals but surely not the committee's responsibility?

D

Deleted member 1258

Surely this depends on the size of the club? In my club we run as many as six official rides at the weekend plus Tuesday and Thursday evenings.

No one should be left behind on an official ride but members are expected to show respect for others by not attending a ride which will be too fast for them.

The scenario @Lee_M gives seems different to me. He put out a shout for people to join him on his social ride, as opposed to the club group ride, which would be at his pace. I think it's the individuals who are at fault and not the club.

It's extremely rude of the individuals but surely not the committee's responsibility?

If someones made a mistake and ended up on the wrong ride, it can be easy done at the start of the ride, they should at least make sure the rider can get home, I've known my old club to get a rider to the cafe then show them to the slower group for the homeward ride.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I had the opposite experience with a club once. The group was having to wait for me at the top of hills and I was getting progressively more knackered. But at each regroup point - despite my protestations that I knew all the lanes in the area and could easily get home - they killed me with kindness and insisted that the group stay together and they would wait for me. So they dragged me all the way back. I guess I could have been a bit more assertive. Or maybe just played dead and hoped they would just go away and leave me.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If someones made a mistake and ended up on the wrong ride, it can be easy done at the start of the ride, they should at least make sure the rider can get home, I've known my old club to get a rider to the cafe then show them to the slower group for the homeward ride.
Absolutely and this is what would happen in my club. It does happen to newbies and they are looked after, it's long standing members we would expect to chose an appropriate ride for their individual ability.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'll correct that for you, "On group rides you're supposed to ride at the pace of the slowest rider" ^_^

Unless it's agreed you won't. My son's taking part in a local club's 'fast' ride, whereby if you're dropped then speed up. If you can't cope, drop back to the ride following behind. But that's accepted by those taking part AND the ride following behind WILL ride at the pace of the slowest rider.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Unless it's agreed you won't. My son's taking part in a local club's 'fast' ride, whereby if you're dropped then speed up. If you can't cope, drop back to the ride following behind. But that's accepted by those taking part AND the ride following behind WILL ride at the pace of the slowest rider.
This is what happens on our Tuesday Loop. Five or six groups set out at intervals, fastest group first. The idea is people jump on to any group they fancy, if they get spat out the back the next group picks them up. Last group out sweeps up and sticks with anyone who needs help.

It works very well on the 27 mile training loop. Not sure how well it would work on a ride?

Lee_M

Guru

Not quite, it was an official club ride, But I said I would be doing it more slowly, and was then joined by others who'd signed up to the official ride who didn't go slow.

My point about the committee is that it's an on going problem and earlier in the week I'd had the same done to me on a ride lead by the chair person.

Top Bottom