Club ride average speeds, could i keep up ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Not sure. Do you think the committee would be OK with @Lee_M banning those individuals from any future similar rides posted?
I don't see it as a committee responsibility as it appears to be a member's social ride. We have these in my club and it's up to the individuals to look out for themselves.

My experience is there are people who go out together regularly and know the pace they plan to ride at. From time to time some faster riders turn up, push the pace and are generally left to ride off in to the distance........it makes the point.

Banning isn't something which would happen on any of our club rides. It's not the way to run a club.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Not quite, it was an official club ride, But I said I would be doing it more slowly, and was then joined by others who'd signed up to the official ride who didn't go slow.

My point about the committee is that it's an on going problem and earlier in the week I'd had the same done to me on a ride lead by the chair person.
Apologies, I thought it was an unofficial, effectively "private," ride. You've every right to complain and if it's an ongoing problem your club committee should act. Quite how if the chair doesn't respect the ride is difficult.

Lee_M

Guru
I don't see it as a committee responsibility as it appears to be a member's social ride. We have these in my club and it's up to the individuals to look out for themselves.

My experience is there are people who go out together regularly and know the pace they plan to ride at. From time to time some faster riders turn up, push the pace and are generally left to ride off in to the distance........it makes the point.

Banning isn't something which would happen on any of our club rides. It's not the way to run a club.

To be clear.

Our club runs regular Sunday rides, a long/fast, a medium/hilly a slow, and an intermediate social.

I said I'd do the slow ride, but specifically said I couldnt keep up with those who had signed up for the slow ride (it was advertised as a 12h14 mph ride but I knew that was unlikely to hold), so I would be riding on my own at a slower pace.

I was then joined by others who also said they wanted to keep to the advertised pace, so in effect it was supposed to be the slower slow ride.

The overall pace ended up being 15mph not 12-14, but that was okay. What wasn't okay, was riding at 23mph on a 3-4 mile flat stretch, and being dropped by those who'd said they wanted a slower ride. And I don't mean just dropped off the back, but actually out of sight and way into the distance.

So in effect it was the slowest official club ride, or it was my own social ride, who knows.

Either way my ride was hijacked by others who didn't want to ride as they were supposed to.

Nope it was part of the official Sunday club rides, but an added extra slow ride that ended up going at 23mph.

The reason I got the committee, involved is its happening more and more, if it was a one off then I wouldn't have been bothered, or if I'd joined someone else's ride then that's my problem if I can't keep up.

anyway I'm not looking to ban anyone, I'm just not going to ride with the club again, and I know I'm not an isolated case, it's just sad the club seems to be getting taken over by racers and testosterone

Lee_M

Guru
@Lee_M - I agree with you. As I said above my initial understanding was you were going on a separate, effectively "private," ride. It's clear this was a club event and yes you should complain.

No worries, it's a difficult thing to manage anyway, one of the reasons I stopped being a ride leader (when I was fitter!) Was people would just break groups up and cause havoc. We lost a big chunk of the club a couple of years ago, for that reason, seems the club hasn't learnt

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
No worries, it's a difficult thing to manage anyway, one of the reasons I stopped being a ride leader (when I was fitter!) Was people would just break groups up and cause havoc. We lost a big chunk of the club a couple of years ago, for that reason, seems the club hasn't learnt

Either they haven't learnt or they won't take any notice. It does happen: people who run clubs are human and there's been a lot of riders who've had time away from work on furlough, who've built up fitness and speed which is pushing up the pace of club rides as a result.

My guess, and it's a suggestion, is they're no longer for you. Maybe find one that suits your current needs better?

We've joined a second club to help my son develop further as my own club's 'fast' ride isn't fast enough for him. We'll ride with both, but he'll train with the second club and his team.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
Following on from this it seems i'm still learning "club riding" as i had an interesting experience a few weeks back. About half way through a typical weekday evening ride with about 8 riders in total we started down a very flat stretch of road that's about 3km long. All the lads and girls seemed to nod and they said lets have a sprint so off we go and me giving it full welly i was pretty chuffed i could keep up, even pass a few although the young lass in our group was way ahead of all of us (she rides for Andy Schlecks team), just as i could feel my legs again they were off once more:blink:, ok so i go again and can follow, then there's another sprint and so on. Turns out the routine was a 10 sprint rep:laugh:, by 5 i was dead... but did manage all 10, if i'd of known it was 10 i would certainly have held back on the first 3 as i had burnt plenty of matches by then.....

Least i'll know for next time:okay:

Lee_M

Guru
Nothing wrong with that if everyone agrees.

Top Bottom