Club ride average speeds, could i keep up ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are those average speeds uphill, downhill, on the flat, into a headwind, with a tail wind? Ask them what sort of normalized power to weight numbers their riders have, that will give you a better idea of where they are at / where you’re at. I’d bet my balls to a barn dance they don’t have a clue. If so, I’d avoid any club that has that level of ignorance ( which is pretty much every club I’ve ever encountered). If however they do know, they might be worth a look.
Words fail me... Anyone asking our group for our normalised power to weight numbers is likely to get very silly answers, probably involving 220v.

davidphilips

Veteran
Most clubs are willing for a non club cyclist to join in,so give it a try, as for speed you should be ok, dont be to disheartened if you find the runs hard (you may even find them easy) as you may be at a disadvantage in not knowing when theres a hill coming up or how far before a rest stop? If you dont try then you may regret not having tried.

screenman

Legendary Member
Are those average speeds uphill, downhill, on the flat, into a headwind, with a tail wind? Ask them what sort of normalized power to weight numbers their riders have, that will give you a better idea of where they are at / where you’re at. I’d bet my balls to a barn dance they don’t have a clue. If so, I’d avoid any club that has that level of ignorance ( which is pretty much every club I’ve ever encountered). If however they do know, they might be worth a look.

I am sure all of the over seventies in the Lincoln Wheelers who do the Wednesday run along with a lot of other rides each week will know those numbers, you have I take it only been a member of a pure racing club.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Meet a lot of Swiss riders in Mallorca and they all seem to be keen racing snakes. My Brother in law lives in Kloten near Zurich and is a club cyclist. He goes like the proverbial S... off a Shovel. So maybe the Club scene over there is not at our UK CTC levels.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Meet a lot of Swiss riders in Mallorca and they all seem to be keen racing snakes. My Brother in law lives in Kloten near Zurich and is a club cyclist. He goes like the proverbial S... off a Shovel. So maybe the Club scene over there is not at our UK CTC levels.
More likely just like the uk you have pootle social ride clubs and the omfg look at em go clubs too

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Go on the ride, go to the front, and slow them down.

It will work for a short distance until they realise what you are up to.

Then you will be swamped, but at least you will get to 'meet' everyone as they go past.

Stompier

Are those average speeds uphill, downhill, on the flat, into a headwind, with a tail wind?

Doesn't sound like you understand what an 'average' is.
Ask them what sort of normalized power to weight numbers their riders have, that will give you a better idea of where they are at / where you’re at. I’d bet my balls to a barn dance they don’t have a clue. If so, I’d avoid any club that has that level of ignorance ( which is pretty much every club I’ve ever encountered). If however they do know, they might be worth a look.

Good lord. What a load of ignorant nonsense. Seriously. You clearly have no idea of what 'normalised power' actually is. And there is no such measure as 'normalised power to weight'. I don't get how you are allowed to get away with regularly posting this kind of BS.

To the OP - as someone said upthread - there's only one way to find out.

Last edited:

Stompier

you have I take it only been a member of a pure racing club

I seriously doubt if he's ever even pinned a number on. He would be laughed out of any competitive club for this kind of nonsense - and deservedly so.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
You can use up to 40% less power for the same speed when drafting. So you may find you are able to keep up as long as you sit in the group, don’t go on the front , or fall off the back.

As an example I found my HR was 13 bpm higher working on the front than sitting in. The difference between working at threshold on the front and being relatively comfortable in the pack.

So give it a go and see how you get on.

YellowV2

Veteran
Hilarious I nearly choked on my tea, I’d say uphill into a headwind!
You do make me laugh @ Racing roadkill, worth reading your posts just for the entertainment! 😂

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
With all due respect to the above posts (except racing roadkill's), perhaps now we can all stop talking about 'normalised power', drafting and the like, in a thread about a guy taking his 12yo daughter on a club ride.
In part yes although drafting in a group ride is all part of the ride and the power you need to be able to develop or the speed you can ride at is affected by drafting and could mean the difference between staying with a group that are a bit faster and struggling .

Stompier

In part yes although drafting in a group ride is all part of the ride and the power you need to be able to develop or the speed you can ride at is affected by drafting and could mean the difference between staying with a group that are a bit faster and struggling .

Not disagreeing, except to say that those are not the kinds of things a 12yo needs to be taking away as memories of her (or his) first club ride.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
The OP has a location of Switzerland so maybe our experience of UK clubs won't apply.

If you do go along and a guy says "Hi I'm Fabian, I'll be leading today's ride" then it might be best to make your excuses and leave. ;)

Spartacus lives not too far away, in fact there's plenty of good riders around here, when i look at local KOM's i see plenty of GC names.

Top Bottom