Club run behaviour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

outlash

also available in orange
With only having ridden with my local CC, I'm curious to know what sort of behaviour goes on/is tolerated on the club runs you all go on?
How big are the groups? Do you do through and off or take turns at the front at random? Do you suffer people hanging on the back? Sprint at every village sign or just on the run in to home? Cafe stop at halfway or not? What (or who) grinds your gears on a Sunday morning?

TIA

Tony.

montage

God Almighty
Strava wrecked club runs

MikeG

Guru
Cafe stop at about 20 to 25 miles (halfway). No formal time in front, although the ride leader usually goes there as he is the only one who knows the way generally. No-one gets dropped, stop for all mechanicals etc.......pace of the slowest rider. Those who need to go faster can have a burst up the hills, and just wait at the top.

Cycle Club Sudbury. All welcome!! :smile:

OP
OP
outlash

outlash

also available in orange
Strava wrecked club runs

If there was ever a decisive topic, it's this. Personally, I only use Strava to log my activity but there are those who don't see it that way...

Cafe stop at about 20 to 25 miles (halfway). No formal time in front, although the ride leader usually goes there as he is the only one who knows the way generally. No-one gets dropped, stop for all mechanicals etc.......pace of the slowest rider. Those who need to go faster can have a burst up the hills, and just wait at the top.

Pretty relaxed then, although no-one generally else knows the route?

Tony.

screenman

Legendary Member
Our club has so many club rides each is different, go in the fast group and expect to get hammered. Anything else is suited to the slowest rider.

PK99

Legendary Member

Ditto my club

compo

Veteran

I used to ride with CCS back in the late '70's early 80's. I was never fast but the club even then was exactly as you describe it.

With only having ridden with my local CC, I'm curious to know what sort of behaviour goes on/is tolerated on the club runs you all go on?
How big are the groups? Do you do through and off or take turns at the front at random? Do you suffer people hanging on the back? Sprint at every village sign or just on the run in to home? Cafe stop at halfway or not? What (or who) grinds your gears on a Sunday morning?

TIA

Tony.
Varies, you can only fin out if you go along.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I hate club runs that stop at a cafe, Im here to ride.... :bicycle:

I am of a similar opinion really, I just don't bother going on them during the summer, too slow, even the fast ones are pretty much just cruising pace and you never know for certain how things will go down and who will turn up.

snorri

Legendary Member
The route discussion normally goes like this......"Where to today, esteemed leader".........."Tubby Tees"..........or ............"Blue Egg" .........or wherever. End of conversation :smile:
Ah memories.
A "foreign" club was having a few days hostelling in my area and I was invited by a friend who was one of the lower orders to join them for a day trip around my own locality. I would imagine I had a better local knowledge than any of the group, but was at no time consulted by the LEADER, or even invited to indicate any points of interest along the way. The LEADER and co-leader remained at the front throughout the day with the rest of us following like sheep.
An interesting observation of human behaviour:rolleyes:

Top Bottom