Club run behaviour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am of a similar opinion really, I just don't bother going on them during the summer, too slow, even the fast ones are pretty much just cruising pace and you never know for certain how things will go down and who will turn up.

The clues in the name, a club run should be a social ride in my book, it can be at various paces but cake should be mandatory. Training rides are another thing all together, our club (and I'd suspect most others) do both.

OP
OP
outlash

outlash

also available in orange
Varies, you can only fin out if you go along.

If only it were that simple. Even the next nearest CC (St.Ives) is a bit of distance and time being a bit of luxury at the moment it's not doable.

TBH, I'm asking because it's been noted by more than one person that some of our members ride don't always ride in the appropriate manner to how the rest of the group is behaving. Older members tell me that the club has grown massively over the last couple of years (I've only been a member just over a year) so going from say 6-10 on Sunday mornings to 40+ and hence, the ability range is widened. Personally, I don't think the club can please everyone but at the same time maybe some 'rules' should be put in place. That's why I'm asking, can a club leave it on a largely ad-hoc basis or should there be more of a structure? Maybe a bit of both?

Tony.

We've looked at bringing more controls into our (I'm club runs secretary for Sotonia CC) runs but it throws up all sorts of issues with liability and insurance and tends to put people off leading rides. We have a guide to club run etiquette on the web site which we ask that people read before their first one, apart from that it's down to the more experienced riders to advise the new comers.
When I started riding with Sotonia about 12 years ago we had about 70 members and you'd get 20 odd turn up for the club runs. We now have 250 members and regularly get 70+ out on a Sunday. A large proportion of inexperienced riders can cause problems, we've had a few 'silly' crashes over the last couple of years but I don't think there's a quick fix that would improve matters.

e-rider

crappy member
25 years ago club runs up and down the country all had a pretty similar format. These days (esp the last 10 years) there is huge variation. 4 clubs in the same city are likely to all offer very different experiences and very different people

OP
OP
outlash

outlash

also available in orange
We've looked at bringing more controls into our (I'm club runs secretary for Sotonia CC) runs but it throws up all sorts of issues with liability and insurance and tends to put people off leading rides. We have a guide to club run etiquette on the web site which we ask that people read before their first one, apart from that it's down to the more experienced riders to advise the new comers.
When I started riding with Sotonia about 12 years ago we had about 70 members and you'd get 20 odd turn up for the club runs. We now have 250 members and regularly get 70+ out on a Sunday. A large proportion of inexperienced riders can cause problems, we've had a few 'silly' crashes over the last couple of years but I don't think there's a quick fix that would improve matters.

Thanks Dave, I think we're at the same sort of point. TBH, what with the TDF passing through nearby Cambridge in July, I can see us being swamped around then.

Tony.

If only it were that simple. Even the next nearest CC (St.Ives) is a bit of distance and time being a bit of luxury at the moment it's not doable.

TBH, I'm asking because it's been noted by more than one person that some of our members ride don't always ride in the appropriate manner to how the rest of the group is behaving. Older members tell me that the club has grown massively over the last couple of years (I've only been a member just over a year) so going from say 6-10 on Sunday mornings to 40+ and hence, the ability range is widened. Personally, I don't think the club can please everyone but at the same time maybe some 'rules' should be put in place. That's why I'm asking, can a club leave it on a largely ad-hoc basis or should there be more of a structure? Maybe a bit of both?

Tony.
I'm not sure what his user name on here but Jimmy Mac on the Cycle Chat MyCylingLog is a member I believe and he might give you an insight to the club.
In general some riders/ride leaders are very regimented (no pun intended) and others are very laissez-faire. I must admit I like a group thats somewhere in between, everybody looks out for each other and are accommodating.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
We are very relaxed with the main club ride, no one get's dropped there is always someone to help with mechanicals, we have a morning stop after 20 to 30 miles, some of the club will come back the rest will go on to the next stop, which is normally a pub, then there is the faster group they do not stop till the ride ends, anything between 40 and 80 miles, that ride goes out Saturday and Sunday morning, Nice friendly club.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
I am of a similar opinion really, I just don't bother going on them during the summer, too slow, even the fast ones are pretty much just cruising pace and you never know for certain how things will go down and who will turn up.

Exactly, my old club used to do, lets stop for a new brew a butty, No thankx, ill do that with my real friends now lets crack on!!! (Joke)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Exactly, my old club used to do, lets stop for a new brew a butty, No thankx, ill do that with my real friends now lets crack on!!! (Joke)

I don't mind them in principle, it is just that a typical club run will take about 4 hours or more when you take into account, cafe stops, mechanicals, riders who over estimated their ability, someone on a bad day etc etc all of which adding up to 4 hours invested and probably half of it spent freewheeling or sat in a cafe. 4 hours is nearly half of my allocated training week (~10 hours), simply can't give that time up (and it is time given up in terms of training because it will provide pretty much no benefit).

Rather than go then moan about the stop taking too long etc, I just stay away and let those who want to go enjoy it and I ride on my own or with a few clubmates who are of a similar level and with similar circumstances.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
I dont moan about it (Much) I used to cycle with all to the cafe the carry on, on my own. Yes its alot of wasted hours, I try and get on the front if I can and atttack the hills.

Hip Priest

Veteran
A club run in something I enjoy occasionally, but as I only get to do one long ride per week, I prefer to spend it training rather than riding socially. I got into the habit of riding with the club every week last year, and my fitness dropped off a cliff.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I have never been in a club and have no real desire to be, but I have seen plenty of examples of..... Riding 2 or 3 abreast down a narrow road with a car stuck behind, and nobody bothering to do anything about it, therefore winding the driver up.

Really gets on my t*ts that does and gives the rest of us a bad name! :cursing:

Top Bottom