Club websites - what's needed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zizou

Veteran
+1 on the forum suggestion. Really useful for planning runs, sharing info on upcoming events as well as general banter etc. some clubs just use their facebook page for this sort of stuff but thats a pain in the arse for those not on facebook.

The other things like club history, photos etc are nice but not essential

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
club twitter account, my club has a forum but it is dead, it all gets posted via twitter now with a feed on the clubs main page.

400bhp

Guru
Dave-have a look at North Cheshire Clarion's website. A very succesful club that got that way IMO mostly because of the way the website worked.

Up to date info in wekend rides with full route mapping.

Weather forecasts etc.:thumbsup:

Ernie_RBR

Some good advice on here, unfortunately as pointed out, a lot of club websites are so out of date they are more likely to turn people away instead of attracting new members. A big part of the problem is that the older, traditional clubs are in the main run by an older generation who have simply been not moved into the 21st century. I am all for keeping tradition, but this can still be done while having a modern website.
I would welcome comments on the CTT [Cycling Time Trials] website and what could be done there. Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread but I am guessing it is more or less the same problem, only in this case they are resistant to change, incredible given this is the National body.

+1 on the forum suggestion. Really useful for planning runs, sharing info on upcoming events as well as general banter etc. some clubs just use their facebook page for this sort of stuff but thats a pain in the arse for those not on facebook.

The other things like club history, photos etc are nice but not essential
I found the DCC forum useful for that, as per the their Facaeboke page but PCC is not so good, I applied last year to join the forum and am yet to approved, that seems to be the case with every member with the forum limited to a two people, its not worth having in its current state :wacko:
There's a couple of break away facebook and google groups which let me plan a bit.

Ernie_RBR

Some good advice on here, unfortunately as pointed out, a lot of club websites are so out of date they are more likely to turn people away instead of attracting new members. A big part of the problem is that the older, traditional clubs are in the main run by an older generation who have simply been not moved into the 21st century. I am all for keeping tradition, but this can still be done while having a modern website.
I would welcome comments on the CTT [Cycling Time Trials] website and what could be done there. Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread but I am guessing it is more or less the same problem, only in this case they are resistant to change, incredible given this is the National body.

Hi there total, had a quick look @CTT a number things I can't see that could help you, is a place were members can interact with each other ie a forum /chat box, your own CCT Youtube channel... The advertsing images on the right are knocking your website out also. The news images could do with a revamp as its a jpeg file change it to a png format that will take away the white background. Home page it self could do with a revamp as its just rolls of stats etc , which tbh can put alot of ppl off... I'd look to add your History with some images and Video's etc ..

Hope that helps...

Ernie_RBR

Hi there total, had a quick look @CTT a number things I can't see that could help you, is a place were members can interact with each other ie a forum /chat box, your own CCT Youtube channel... The advertsing images on the right are knocking your website out also. The news images could do with a revamp as its a jpeg file change it to a png format that will take away the white background. Home page it self could do with a revamp as its just rolls of stats etc , which tbh can put alot of ppl off... I'd look to add your History with some images and Video's etc ..

Hope that helps...

Ernie_RBR
Thanks for taking a look, the website is only meant to be an information resource, there is a separate time trialling forum for interaction. I suppose what is really needed is a lot of guinea pigs to pretend they are wanting to start TT'ing and see if the information is there and clearly presented. As a for instance, most of the map links to look at a course don't work, the courses themselves are all in code [I kid you not]. We are used to this, but really it is almost as if the National Committee don'w want any newbies, now there's a thought.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
You want a front page that says " this is a great club/sport, you ought to join"
Big front page picture , maybe 3-4 scrolling,with just the club name.
All the boring writing can go inside the site.

Octet

Veteran
You want a front page that says " this is a great club/sport, you ought to join"
Big front page picture , maybe 3-4 scrolling,with just the club name.
All the boring writing can go inside the site.

I disagree, adding an entire page when the user opens the website is unnecessary and simply adds something in the way of the user. Content should be up front and clear, no skirting around it.

Top Bottom