Club websites - what's needed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've recently been volunteered to help re-do my current club website: http://www.ravensthorpe-cycling-club.org.uk as it was last done about 8 years ago. There's an active Facebook page but a website that's decent (and accurate) would help.

So ... I'm casting my thoughts out on CC. If you're happy with your club website, I'd appreciated you offering up a link/name.

Also, what would you look for in a club website? Initial thoughts are:

- Club information/history (it's a historic club with possibly the oldest cycling trophy in the world :eek: )
- Club run information; days/times/meeting points and also what to bring/expect
- Membership information - links to BC/CTC/CTT/etc

What else is expected on a club website?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
what you're about
what you set out to do
what you offer
what you expect of people who come out with you

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
not the prettiest site, but full of content and easy to navigate…

http://macclesfieldwheelers.org.uk/

The scrolling text on your website makes me nauseas, if our club had that on the webpage, I would be feeding back rather strongly. Otherwise, I agree your website is a pretty good example (I've looked at it plenty of times in the past). Easily one of the best websites of the local clubs, most of the local club's websites are absolutely awful.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
and remember, a website is never 'finished'; you launch it, then maintain it. it's not the same model as a paper publication, where it's published and then replaced by a new one at some point in time.

a club forum is a good way to not only engage with the users, but also provides its own content, so to speak. you could almost just have a forum instead of a website; think how this place works.

if you're going down the website route, find a good open-source content management system (wordpress is free and well supported) so that content is easy to update for those who aren't a web professional…

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
The scrolling text on your website makes me nauseas, if our club had that on the webpage, I would be feeding back rather strongly. Otherwise, I agree your website is a pretty good example (I've looked at it plenty of times in the past). Easily one of the best websites of the local clubs, most of the local club's websites are absolutely awful.
i'll pass it on ;)

Venod

Eh up

I agree with Rob3t, loose the scrolling text, to the OP avoid scrolling text.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
i'll pass it on ;)

BTW, just to make it clear, I wasn't having a dig. It is the sheer number of scrolling bits of info I think, I try to focus on one but in my peripheral vision the others moving makes me genuinely feel a little ill or as if I am off balance or something, much like if you look up at the sky with nothing else in your field of vision and the clouds moving can make you feel like you are going to fall over (particularly if you are working up at a height, say on a cherry picker or something).

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
it's not my favourite either, and too much motion on a homepage is never a good thing.

i've nowt to do with it, and as it's run by volunteers, i'm not about to get all up my own arse telling them what to do just because i have experience in the area...

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
One of our members it re-designing our site, it should look pretty snazzy as graphic design and website front ends is his profession :smile: I saw a sneak preview and it looked pretty Rapha-ish, he might have to put another 20p in the hipster jar, hah.

robgul

Legendary Member
www.ctc-heartofengland.org.uk - the key is to have a Content Management System (CMS) based site to make it easy to update/maintain/add to etc ... ours is built in Joomla which has loads of add-on components (like the Events listing and calendar etc) - we also publish the club mag, The Electronic Link (that's having some work done at the moment so may not look its best) on the website. Entries for our Audax and other events are there too, with secure payment and reports that help us to manage everything

Once it's set up it's all very easy to look after

Rob (CTC-HoE webmaster)

bigjim

Legendary Member
My local club has run reports which can be pretty interesting reading. Also lots of pics keep the interest up. Members Tour photos, Xmas do etc.

Top Bottom