Clubs, to join or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lee1980sim

I'm wondering whether to join a club or not, I'm not the most sociable person but often think riding with someone else would be better and I'd get to know more routes etc

So what are the benefits?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Go ride with a few and make your own mind up.

lejogger

Guru
Obviously it's not for everyone, but there are a huge amount of benefits to joining a club.

Diversity of routes...
A challenge...
A route into racing...
An opportunity for velodrome/track riding...
A new social circle...
To increase fitness...
Camaraderie...
Unlimited source of assistance and advice...
Improved cycling competence...

You can be as social or as unsocial as you like - you don't have to chat while you're moving but other riders will make an effort. You don't have to stop at the cafe after but it's often fun to. You don't have to go to social events but you tend to get out what you put in.

As @Rob3rt says, there's no harm in giving it a go, in fact most insist on at least 3 trial rides before committing.

Fubar

Guru
Thanks now I've got to find a club within shooting distance that's not race orientated

The club I've recently joined has a Saturday Cafe Run, which is a good intro to group riding and not anything like a race - I imagine most clubs do the same, and will let you try it out before committing to a membership.

lejogger

Guru
Thanks now I've got to find a club within shooting distance that's not race orientated
You'll find most clubs will be a broad cross section. They may have groups of differing standards that leave at different times and do different mileage at different speeds so it shouldn't be too difficult to find something that suits your level.

At this time of year you don't really see many of the racers on the club runs. They'll be off competing at various events then hook back up again at the end of the season.

OP
OP
lee1980sim

lee1980sim

whereabouts in S Yorks are you? Lots of clubs have many different sections within them , not many are pure race clubs
I'm in Rotherham, done a google search and found a couple of them, now to sort out with days off + free days when I can tag along

lejogger

Guru
If you're not interested in racing, try the CTC.
I would say 90% of our membership don't race regularly... It's a myth that clubs are geared up to be that serious. It's much more social than that.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Have bit the bullet and am booked to do an induction in September with a women only cycle club. I don't want to race but i do want to increase my fitness level a bit faster and i want someone to pace me especially on climbs and also to do new and different routes.

Will just have to see.:rolleyes:

e-rider

crappy member
Have bit the bullet and am booked to do an induction in September with a women only cycle club. I don't want to race but i do want to increase my fitness level a bit faster and i want someone to pace me especially on climbs and also to do new and different routes.

Will just have to see.:rolleyes:
"booked an induction" - I didn't know joining a cycling club was like joining the gym! Just go along and join in, just find out how to ride in a group safely first though - most clubs have the basics on their web pages for beginners to read.
Almost not a week passes in our club rides when some newbie turns up and tries their best to make everyone crash - so perhaps induction sessions are not a bad idea after all!

lejogger

Guru
We insist on new members sticking at the back for at least the first ride so they can learn how to ride in a bunch... I.e. how close to ride to each other, how to rotate when the whistle goes, what shouts or signals to give to the rider behind for potholes or other obstructions etc.

It's not difficult but is so important.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Check the link in my sig to mercia, on the web page it lists the speed and distances for the 3 club runs on a sunday, i think that gives you an idea .
You do not have to be a social animal to enjoy a group ride , i really enjoy just getting out with like minded people and if you do not want to chatter thats up to you .Mind you i have not been out for over 2 months on a sunday as i have been busy with house move + nerve /carpel tunnel so i am gagging to get out again !

OP
OP
lee1980sim

lee1980sim

OK my mind is still not made up I can see the benefits of group riding (safety and all that malarkey) and the advice and route knowledge would obviously be helpful but with regards to riding at the back to know how to ride in a group and learn calls etc seems a tad erm.... derogatory and undermining (may not be the correct words but I did fail English so that's my excuse) anyway at the minute I'm considering to just keep plodding along on my own it seems easier

Top Bottom