Clubs, to join or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We insist on new members sticking at the back for at least the first ride so they can learn how to ride in a bunch... I.e. how close to ride to each other, how to rotate when the whistle goes, what shouts or signals to give to the rider behind for potholes or other obstructions etc.

It's not difficult but is so important.

That's probably why i've never joined a club.

I thought cycling was about enjoyment?

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
The induction is to see which group to go in and what they expect of you on a group ride, shouts and general etiquette I think. Anyway don't know if you don't try. If I don't like it I can always politely decline.

e-rider

crappy member
OK my mind is still not made up I can see the benefits of group riding (safety and all that malarkey) and the advice and route knowledge would obviously be helpful but with regards to riding at the back to know how to ride in a group and learn calls etc seems a tad erm.... derogatory and undermining (may not be the correct words but I did fail English so that's my excuse) anyway at the minute I'm considering to just keep plodding along on my own it seems easier

learning how to ride in a group safely is very important because it is VERY easy to take out 10 other riders in one wrong move, and this will not only lead to damaged expensive bikes but injuries too, or even worse. Nearly every new rider I see gets very close to causing a mass pile-up in their first few weeks - it's got nothing to do with being a lower class person!

OP
OP
lee1980sim

lee1980sim

I never mention anything about lower class but being stuck at the back doesn't teach you anything other than how to be an outcast which I can do perfectly well already a better method would probably be to buddy up with someone who's willing to teach, riding alone or in groups is all about the use of common sense and observation

e-rider

crappy member
I never mention anything about lower class but being stuck at the back doesn't teach you anything other than how to be an outcast which I can do perfectly well already a better method would probably be to buddy up with someone who's willing to teach, riding alone or in groups is all about the use of common sense and observation
not many clubs insist on newcomers riding at the back anyway - I've never seen that policy in action!
The main thing to note is that there are about 10 very important rules to learn that help keep everyone safe - you can learn them in about 10 minutes though - just don't forget them. Let me see if I can find them.
I actually prefer riding at the back anyway, the best place to ride IMO

e-rider

crappy member
Stephen Roche's group riding 'rules':

Be predictable

This is the key to all bunch riding. This means no sudden movements in any direction, as the cumulative effect of this is the same as cars in the fast lane of the motorway. Keep it smooth. As you might be riding with people whom you haven’t ridden with before, assess your level in the group and of those around you. If you appear to be the more experienced bunch rider, keep in mind to give the less experienced the room they need. Their reaction time might not be as quick as yours.

Keep your line

Don’t weave across the road; keep your relative position from the edges of the road even when cornering as a bunch. Remember that it may mean that you may need to go through a pot hole – a sudden swerve could take out the whole bunch behind you. When coming past someone and moving in front of them be sure not to cut them up.

No sudden braking

Any changes in speed become increasingly more difficult to deal with the further behind you someone is. If there is a reason for the group to stop, keep your relative position and don’t use it as an opportunity to overtake riders that have slowed or stopped in front of you.

Announce hazards

There may well be occasions where situations demand that you call out a hazard to avoid incidents. Bear in mind that there could be riders several metres behind you who cannot see the hazard. This could be anything ranging from a dog or horse running out in front of the bunch, to accidentally dropping a bottle in the middle of the bunch. Call “Dog”, “Horse”, “Bottle” and if you have dropped a bottle don’t stop.

Signal

Where there are situations that need pointing out such as turning, stopping, potholes, glass, train tracks, you can do by signalling. The signal is passed from rider to rider going back.

Climbing

My favourite gripe and this even happens in the pro bunch. When you stand to get out of the saddle, your bike will move back slightly (or a lot in some cases). This can cause riders behind you to crash. Make sure that when you stand you don’t push the bike back, and exert slightly more pedal pressure to keep the speed constant.

Descending

If you are on the front, keep pedalling. This prevents having riders behind you having to ‘sit on their brakes’ which is extremely irritating! Typically the front few riders keep pedalling and the riders behind will freewheel or soft tap. Keep both hands firmly on the bars, preferably on the drops – you stand more chance of keeping your bike upright on the drops when hitting a hole or bump at speed.

Close the gaps

Don’t let gaps develop between you and the rider(s) in front. It is far more efficient for you and the group to keep the spaces filled.

Introduce yourself

If new to a group, introduce yourself to your fellow riders before they do. When you are talking keep looking forward – just as you should do when driving in a car.

Don’t look back

The most common novice’s mistake. Most riders, when they look back, change their line and speed causing chaos and also don’t see what’s about to happen. If you hear a crash behind you, keep looking forward and the bunch will naturally slow and stop.

Puncture

When this happens raise your hand so that riders behind can see that you are an obstacle and can avoid you. If it’s a front tyre keep both hands on the handle bars and let someone else signal for you, especially when going downhill. It is very dangerous to take a hand off the handlebars when you puncture in the front. Use the back brake predominantly. Don’t stop until the bunch has completely passed you. Move to the side of the road.

e-rider

crappy member
@e-rider you have a blinkered view of group riding and of the CTC. Social rides are just as valuable and enjoyable as the chaingang variety and although it's good to understand how to ride in a group, all that 'rotate when the whistle goes' stuff isn't for everyone. No need for you to look down your nose at those who prefer to be sociable.
I was an active member of the CTC for over a decade, and have cycled with 5 different clubs over the last 25 years

OP
OP
lee1980sim

lee1980sim

OK well after lots of thought and consideration I think I'll not bother with the clubs it just seems far too hassle for to the amount of time I'll actually get to ride them, I work most weekends and irregular shifts so an induction would probably take months to sort it then it'll be once in a blue moon when I'm able to ride with them, I was thinking I'd just be able to drop by and join in when I'm free and able to, so looks like solo rides for me

e-rider

crappy member
OK well after lots of thought and consideration I think I'll not bother with the clubs it just seems far too hassle for to the amount of time I'll actually get to ride them, I work most weekends and irregular shifts so an induction would probably take months to sort it then it'll be once in a blue moon when I'm able to ride with them, I was thinking I'd just be able to drop by and join in when I'm free and able to, so looks like solo rides for me
you can and should just drop by when you want to
read the 'rules' I posted above and remember them all - simple as that - of you go!
If you follow every rule that I listed you'll be a better group rider than half the other people there!

lejogger

Guru
That's probably why i've never joined a club.

I thought cycling was about enjoyment?
Why is learning how to ride in a group not enjoyable?

Riding with your mates, enjoying the banter, different routes every week etc is surely far better than doing the same old rides by yourself?

Maybe my post made it seem like you're on some kind of probation period in the beginning, but that's not the case at all.
It's just that not everyone knows how to ride in a group, so we make sure they do so it's safer for everyone.

lejogger

Guru
OK my mind is still not made up I can see the benefits of group riding (safety and all that malarkey) and the advice and route knowledge would obviously be helpful but with regards to riding at the back to know how to ride in a group and learn calls etc seems a tad erm.... derogatory and undermining (may not be the correct words but I did fail English so that's my excuse) anyway at the minute I'm considering to just keep plodding along on my own it seems easier
It's not derogatory at all!
Riding at the back at first is just for safety... It can be quite daunting to find yourself boxed in or suddenly on the front on your first ride.

You also don't want to be the guy who doesn't shout for a pothole causing the guy behind to crack his carbon rim.

The guys who turn up with an arrogant attitude, thinking they know it all are usually the ones who cause the problems. Like the guy in our club who threw his brakes on in a chain gang and caused a crash which snapped someone's frame.

Why is learning how to ride in a group not enjoyable?

Riding with your mates, enjoying the banter, different routes every week etc is surely far better than doing the same old rides by yourself?

Maybe my post made it seem like you're on some kind of probation period in the beginning, but that's not the case at all.
It's just that not everyone knows how to ride in a group, so we make sure they do so it's safer for everyone.

Your earlier post came out like your group ride was very regimental although i don't think you meant it to be.

I suppose i would like to ride with a few "buddies" rather than a group if i could as it is definitely harder riding solo(ie pace,distance etc).

robjh

Legendary Member
I joined a club last year after years of riding alone, and wish I'd done it far sooner. I guess it depends on the club, but my one was very welcoming to new members, and learning to ride in a group is not hard - a lot comes by watching and imitating. I don't race, and nor do most of the other regular Sunday riders, though there's a core of the club that does.

What I get from it is :
- I get out further and more frequently than I would on my own
- a sociable experience - you meet a lot of like-minded people to chat to (though not everyone chats all the time, it's quite OK to ride quietly too)
- group riding is fun! You go faster, and enjoy a shared experience.
- and finally, 10% discount in local bikeshops - I've more than recouped my membership fees.

So unless you happen upon a club where they're all a lot of mardy old b*stards, I (personally) can't think of a downside. At least to give it a try.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
A lot (most?) clubs allow/welcome guest riders. Some stipulate a maximum number of 'guest' rides allowed. Enables you to try various level rides to find out what it is all about, whether it is for you, without committing yourself. We often have riders on our basic leisure rides who find them much easier than they thought they would be and soon move on to the longer, faster rides. Others continue to ride both, enjoying the experience of slower, more social rides as well as a more challenging work out in the faster groups.

Top Bottom