Clueless.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
A
As an HGV driver for 30 years, both continental and UK, a Motorcyclist for 40 years, Advanced driving institute trained car driver and cyclist since school including European touring and a short time riding with a French cycling club, I think I might have a little experience of the roads. So pray tell, from which ivory tower do offer advise on how to stay safe on busy trunk roads to the inexperienced cyclist. We can all have righteous blinkered views on riding dangerous roads. But sometimes surely even we can see common sense over our rights to ride those type of very fast and busy roads and probably until everybody stops buying so much stuff in the supermarkets and they shift distribution back onto the railways it's only going to get worse on those trunk roads, but you can rest assure that when I do come across cyclists on those roads my first thoughts are for their safety even if it's legal but bloody silly place to be on a bicycle.
You forgot surfing, and your landrover.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As an HGV driver for 30 years, both continental and UK, a Motorcyclist for 40 years, Advanced driving institute trained car driver and cyclist since school including European touring and a short time riding with a French cycling club, I think I might have a little experience of the roads.
Only a little as far as UK cycling goes then. No cycling qualification, no cycle tour group navigation experience AFAICS.

I can't check easily from here but does that A57 contraflow cycle track which wasn't on the map I checked (so will be missing from some sat nabs) have signs and an opportunity to cross to it safely?

Drago

Legendary Member
From the description it sounds that the danger was all too real. However, it's a shame that fellow cyclists are criticising cyclists for exercising their lawful rights to ride instead of directing their ire towards the drivers causing the danger.

Some of the comments call to mind similar comments made about women going out at night in short skirts.

Top Bottom